Building new Computer

Acibrix

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Sup guys,
I finally getting away from this p3. I'm building an Athlon machine...i thinking of getting that 1ghz. Which is the best motherboard for this CPU...it must have DDR support. And what's CLR?

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I think you mean CNR and not CLR, but I could be wrong. CNR stands for Communications Network Riser which is a slot on the motherboard to support network cards, modems and the like. The CNR is a cousin to Intel's AMR slots which allows motherboard manufacturers to create, test, and verify audio and modem devices separately from the design of their motherboards. The AMR and CNR slots are available on some motherboards, but are regarded with disdain by most power users who take issue with an AMR device stealing CPU cycles to make a modem or audio device work properly.

The CNR slot can be more limited than the AMR riser in some respects. The AMR riser supports a primary codec and up to three secondary analog codecs. The CNR card supports only a single secondary analog codec.

Most people avoid using either riser altogether.

As for your motherboard, you should read deeper into this section. There are about 20 conversations going on now about this same issue.

I think you will have much better luck with an MSI motherboard like the K7Master or K7Master-S (includes onboard SCSI) than you will with the Asus A7M266 as this board is just not ready for the street. Presently the A7M266 just has way too many stability issues right now. I am sure that Asus will work them out, I just wouldn't endorse a board that crashes at least once an hour for use by anyone.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'