[SOLVED] Building New entry level gaming pc

Apr 13, 2020
I am trying to build a low end gaming pc that can breeze through daily tasks and handle low end gaming but can also be upgraded later on if I take gaming seriously. I was thinking to go with a Ryzen. 3 3200g since it has integrated graphics. However, my friends tell me to get an Intel cpu. Also, I already have 2 sticks of 8gb ram. Another importing thing to say is that my budget is 300. This only applies to the basic electronic components. My pc case is under a seperate budget. ( don’t ask why, it just is). So if you wouldn’t mind, could you please tell me what components to get that will fit all the requirements above? Sorry if I sound confusing.

Solution
I am trying to build a low end gaming pc that can breeze through daily tasks and handle low end gaming but can also be upgraded later on if I take gaming seriously. I was thinking to go with a Ryzen. 3 3200g since it has integrated graphics. However, my friends tell me to get an Intel cpu. Also, I already have 2 sticks of 8gb ram. Another importing thing to say is that my budget is 300. This only applies to the basic electronic components. My pc case is under a seperate budget. ( don’t ask why, it just is). So if you wouldn’t mind, could you please tell me what components to get that will fit all the requirements above? Sorry if I sound confusing.
The AMD integrated graphics are superior to Intel. This list assumes you already...

IO_OI

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi,

Firstly, what type of RAM are your ram sticks? DDR4? DDR3? This will determine what motherboards you can buy, and therefore what chipsets of CPU are available for you to choose from.

Secondly, you need to decide whether you want to use integrated graphics or get a graphics card. In your situation I would probably recommend integrated graphics, you can spend the money on an SSD and/or better CPU instead. Then, if you want to upgrade later you can buy a decent graphics card for $200 or so. From my knowledge, the low end graphics cards are not much better than integrated graphics.

From my experience using a Dell XPS 13 laptop with intel i5 integrated graphics (2015 model), I was able to play Dota 2, League of Legends and Minecraft on low settings and fortnite on very low. Older games ran better. Newer CPUs such as the one you mentioned would have better performance.

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
Assuming you have DDR4 RAM, get an AMD 3400G will out perform Intel IGPU. Buy a used 3400G and a B350 motherboard with updated BIOS.

What are the reasons your friends say get Intel? Renoir has been proven to be the winner.

The AMD integrated graphics are superior to Intel. This list assumes you already have DDR4 ram. You'll want to add more storage as funds become available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $319.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-04 00:08 EDT-0400

Solution
Apr 13, 2020
Okay so I checked my ram and I am pretty sure it is DDR3. However, I already have a 240 gig ssd laying around, so I will just use the money that was for the ssd for new ram. I also have an old HDd, so I’ll just wipe that for extra storage. I have 2 questions: I have an older psu, can I use that until I can get my hands on a new one? Also, what ram should I get?
My friends didn’t say why Intel is better, it was just one of those “ trust me you’ll see” things.

Okay so I checked my ram and I am pretty sure it is DDR3. However, I already have a 240 gig ssd laying around, so I will just use the money that was for the ssd for new ram. I also have an old HDd, so I’ll just wipe that for extra storage. I have 2 questions: I have an older psu, can I use that until I can get my hands on a new one? Also, what ram should I get?
My friends didn’t say why Intel is better, it was just one of those “ trust me you’ll see” things.

Older PSU of what brand and model and how old is it? Intel vs AMD is not too much of a decision now, they are both good. Since you have a lower budget get the cheaper part, your video card is not going to be good enough to match a top CPU anyway. Intel CPUs can still get to higher FPS but that depends on the settings, game and video card you match it with.

IO_OI

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015

I would suggest not using your old power supply. That one is the sort that goes in low power office computers. I would recommend to get something like what Archaic59 suggested. Think of it this way: If your motherboard fails, you need to buy a new motherboard, if your PSU fails you will need to buy a new everything.

As for what type of RAM, get 2x8GB of whatever is cheapest (you can get 2 more of the same 8gb sticks as an uprade later if you like). When I made my most recent PC I got Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz CL17 DDR4 which was, at the time, the cheapest I could get. If you are in the US, you should have more options, so shop around.