Question Building new pc for 5090

Jun 25, 2024
So I am wanting to build a new pc for when the new 5090 comes out and wanted to get some pointers since the last time I built a pc was 6 years ago here are the parts I am going for but struggling with finding a good motherboard.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
PSU - ASUS ROG THOR 1200W 80 Plus Platinum II Modular Power Supply
COOLING - CORSAIR iCUE Link H150i RGB 360mm AIO QX120 RGB Fans
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2X32GB) DDR5 5200MHz

and again as I said don't really know much about good motherboards or what would be good to use with all this and a 5090 when it comes out so any help would be appreciated

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I am wanting to build a new pc for when the new 5090 comes out and wanted to get some pointers since the last time I built a pc was 6 years ago here are the parts I am going for but struggling with finding a good motherboard.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
PSU - ASUS ROG THOR 1200W 80 Plus Platinum II Modular Power Supply
COOLING - CORSAIR iCUE Link H150i RGB 360mm AIO QX120 RGB Fans
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2X32GB) DDR5 5200MHz

and again as I said don't really know much about good motherboards or what would be good to use with all this and a 5090 when it comes out so any help would be appreciated
If your building new then wait for the 5090 to come out, by that time the upcoming 9xxx X3D processor should be out.

Edit or the regular 9xxx is supposed to be released in July or so.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
The best advice I can give is its never ever a good idea to try and anticipate future tech, its always much better to plan after all the tech is already out in the wild for at least 6 months. Trying to build a system based on the next big upcoming release I fear is a fools game.
You want the mobo to be specifically made for the 5090 aswell ideally the CPU to be released around the same time, as this will maximize odds of everything working well. Its so clear to me when you mix the main parts cpu, gpu, mobo that are more than 1-2years apart they stand a high chance of giving rise to poorer perf and system stability.
Also you want the RAM to have the lowest latency possible and higher MHz imo. As for motherboard I guess look for longest warranty, good brand, designed for high performance. See this is why its best to wait long after the release of the 5090, as by then you will get a better feel of what is really good & stable.

Few pointers:

SSD benchmark: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ssd-benchmarks-hierarchy#section-2tb-ssd-hierarchy

You dont really need an AIO for the 9000X3D chips. They are rumoured to run cooler than their predecessors.
I would suggest these coolers:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BR...-evo-69-cfm-cpu-cooler-phantom-spirit-120-evo
Or Deepcool AK620 Digital if you want fancy CPU coolers.

Go for the Deepcool MYSTIQUE 360 AIO for LCD display or the Artic Liquid Freezer III for something simple.

You would need 6000mhz CL30 or 6400mhz CL32 rams or better. Faster rams with tighter latency is needed for ryzen.

PSU buying guide: