[SOLVED] Building new setup based on old tech

Dec 11, 2019
I want to build new setup based on tech from 2010.

My current CPU is now worth 5-15$ ,only GPU is a bit newer (HD 7950)

I want to try and setup it with dual or quadrupal(are those even a thing?) socket motherboard.
It's been 10 years since i delved into those things.

Setup will rarely be used for modeling and rendering of architecture/landscapes.
I want it to be compatible with new machine learning techs like Tensorflow
Most of the time it will be used casually for webdesign,creating audio video movies in Da Vinci Resolve etc.

Performance is not a big factor , i want it cheap and reasonably energy efficient

Can anyone send me resources where i can find more about such setups + power consumpton / performance charts?

Last edited:
Solution
Dual socket or quad socket WON'T be energy efficient. Each socket requires DIMMs, and for optimum performance, assume four DIMMs per socket. That means lots of power just to maintain the RAM. And 10 year old CPUs were not energy efficient compared to current CPUs.
Your desires and the choice of hardware don't match.

kanewolf

Titan
Dual socket or quad socket WON'T be energy efficient. Each socket requires DIMMs, and for optimum performance, assume four DIMMs per socket. That means lots of power just to maintain the RAM. And 10 year old CPUs were not energy efficient compared to current CPUs.
Your desires and the choice of hardware don't match.

Reactions: Ludvio
Solution