[SOLVED] Building new system and I have a question regarding a Windows key.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
I have an old low end PC with Windows 7 installed on it and I'm thinking of chucking all the old outdated hardware in the case and putting in new components to create a mid-range gaming system for my son. So far I have the build I'm looking for but I was wondering about using the Windows 7 key on the new system.

If I install Windows 10 using an Installer USB I have from another build will it work if I use the Windows 7 key from the old computer?

I don't really know how Windows Licensing works and I was hoping someone could let me know if this would work? Saving a round $50 - $100 on the OS would give me a little extra money to upgrade something else like the GPU or add an SSD to the build.

Solution
reads link again... you have win 7.

If I install Windows 10 using an Installer USB I have from another build will it work if I use the Windows 7 key from the old computer?
it should yes. It depends on what type of PC it is. Is it a pre installed PC from someone like Dell as you might want to upgrade that PC to win 10 and then move the licence.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - as its newer than what you have now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
reads link again... you have win 7.

it should yes. It depends on what type of PC it is. Is it a pre installed PC from someone like Dell as you might want to upgrade that PC to win 10 and then move the licence.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - as its newer than what you have now.

Last edited:
Solution