BUILDING PC FOR OLDER GAMES

brandonengell

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP
BUDGET RANGE: CHEAP UNDER 500 W/O Windows
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard mouse monitor etc
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com Or amazon.com Both have great prices, amazon just to find cheaper than newegg
PARTS PREFERENCES: whatever gets the job done for cheap price
OVERCLOCKING: Nope
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Nope
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x769 or 1280x1024
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO WHOEVER IS READING. Okay, i need a computer just for Counter-Strike 1.6 and maybe down the road Counter-Strike Source. My old computer got some problems and yea its history, gave it away. All im doing is playing Counter-Strike on it. I play at LOW RES, with no AA or anything on. SO basically everything on LOWest. These games are not demanding and even single cores can run them fine. I just need a cheap computer, that runs these 2 GAMES fine. Thats it. I tried to ask on other sites, but they are dumb and try to build be a 800$ computer with all this crazy stuff which i do not need. Hopefully whoever is reading this and helping me :D Knows that CS 1.6 and CSS are not demanding.
So im hoping this pc comes cheaper than 500 w/o windows. Please if you do not know about counter-strike and what kind of stuff is needed to play (example, i do not need a AMD phenom, or a 8800GTX etc.)
then please do not waste your time. Sorry if im being harsh or talking to you like a kid etc, its just im kind of mad how i ask for HELP on a computer for a game that is old, and they try to get me to build some crazy thing. So Please I need a Counter-Strike computer :DDDD
Hopefully i get some help ;D

dgast06

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Alright. So you wanted a computer that cost less than 500 dollars, and only needed to run those 2 games? Well, here you go! Its super cheap actualy, and would be a damn good computer that I wouldn't mind owning myself (if i didn't run my settings alot higher and didn't want my 3.2ghz quad core ;) )

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153120

processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300

Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609027

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Dvd Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

Case/psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148030

All together, costing 313.93$ not counting shipping. Like I said, a tidy fast computer with lots of hdd space, a fast dual core proc that will blow whatever you had out of the water, a flashy case(which may or not be to your liking) And everything else is decent solid components. All coming in at 150$ dollars under budget. Now if you would like to flesh it out a bit more and spend all 500$ there a some decent upgrades you could still make, but this will more than take care of the requirements given.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree on several points with this build. First of all, you chose a Jetway motherboard, which is one of the worst brands available for motherboards, and on top of that you chose an Nvidia chipset, which are terrible as well. Two poor decisions in one right there. Secondly, The case and PSU are not quality components. I would never run a system on a logisys PSU, they are junk, and the case only has one 80mm fan. If you look at the dimensions of that case, its pretty big, so you will have to buy a couple extra case fans for it to get sufficient cooling, which will add like $20 to the price, plus $20 to ship it. You can get an antec 300 case with far superior ventilation for $55 with free shipping. The GPU will suffice for his needs, but if you spent $20 more you can get a 4670, which is easily twice the GPU of the 4550.

I am ok with the CPU, Ram (although I would definitely get 4gb), HDD, and optical.

My advice to you would be to use up as much of the budget as you can. At this price point, you will get much more for your money if you spend more money, since quality of parts declines very quickly once you get down to the budget end of the spectrum.

Look at these components:

HD 4670 +$20
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 +$32
Combo: Antec 300 and Earthwatts 380w +$50 (after you consider shipping costs)
And you still have enough for 4gb of ram, which will help your system out even if you only see 3gb of it:
G Skill 4gb DDR2-1066 +$25

Adds $127, but gives you significantly better components and still under budget. This also makes you have a system that is upgradable as well, so down the road you can put a Phenom II processor in that MB, and you can turn up the quality on CS from lowest settings. You really get MUCH more for your money if you spend more at this price segment. Now you don't absolutely need the Ram or GPU upgrades that I suggested, but they are definitely worth the price difference, but the PSU absolutely needs to be changed, as does the MB.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I was considering the 790GX chipset too, but I figured you might as well pay a little extra and get much better performance. The MB+GPU I suggested costs 65+60=125 (with MIR) as opposed to 100 for the Biostar MB...and biostar isn't exactly the greatest brand out there either, I think I would much prefer the Gigabyte MB. gkay's cpu/case/psu combo is a pretty good deal, so you wouldn't need the combo for the 5600...so idk either one would be decent options I guess, but you get more for your money getting a discrete GPU. If there is no possibility that you would play any other game other than counterstrike, then I guess there is no reason to go for a better GPU, but I think that it would be nice to have that option, and if he is willing to pay ~$450 for the system, might as well get the better performing one right? Also with the 7750 you have the option of better overclocking, which he said he wouldn't do, but its nice to have the option. The 7750 can go to 3.3ghz or so on stock cooling, and down the road if he wants to squeeze a little more performance out of the system, that is a free CPU upgrade. I'm all about getting the most for your money and I think you do that better if you get a MB without onboard graphics and buy a discrete GPU.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

I need to know what OS your going to use. Windows 98 will not play nice with SATA hard drives. You are going to have a lot of trouble installing it. Good luck trying to find a new motherboard that doesn't have SATA for the drives. Maybe a motherboard with an IDE controller chip or an add in ide card is what you're goign to have to do.

FCWMay.jpg

IGPx1.jpg

790gxvsGF9400.jpg

IGPx2.jpg

hd3300igp2.jpg

hd3300igp1.jpg

Frames obtained with a test set up with a 'dated' 9850BE hehe Maybe a HD4770 down the road when the need arises?

brandonengell

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
WOW i am amazed, thank you all for helping so much. WOW you do not know how much this helps me. ALl i can say is wow.
Like wow x1000
werid huh
but i have to say thank you to everyone that has helped and posted.
I will look threw them all. i thank you all and everything.
If i had the money i would paypal you all 10$.
this is amazing
i never had this good of support
i will make tomshardware.com my place for every computer need
wow
THANKS EVERYBODY :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

brandonengell

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

THE OS im using will be XP Pro 32 bit

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Don't know much about the game, but if you are truly building a computer to play older games such as this....a few pieces of information in the event you decide to play some even older games too.

1. Remember that many older games had preset settings for sound. (Thus, onboard system board sound is not an option.) Try to find an old Creative Soundblaster Live (Audigy series doesn't work) for your sound option. I had to put one of these in my computer in order to play such games.

2. Many older games simply don't work well with "high clocked" CPUs. Thus, in this regard, you may want to purposely buy a slower clocked (cheaper) duel core. Or, you can always underclock any processor in the BIOS.

3. For the machine's purpose, 2 GB of ram should be plenty. You may have to enable "expanded memory" for some games. Search Google for details.

4. Think about partitioning the hard drive and duel booting XP Pro 32 bit and 98 SE. (Not all games will even run well in XP Pro 32 bit.)

5. A previous poster was correct, in that an IDE hard drive would be preferable to a SATA based one for the system. Luckily, you can still find system boards with 2 and 4 device IDE capability and IDE hard drives.

6. Nvidia dropped support for many older games in their driver sets for graphics cards in the 8xxx series and higher. If you choose Nvidia graphics, find a video card with a model number from the 7xxx series and lower.

7. If you continue down this route, remember that external USB 2.0 devices (such as mice and keyboards) may have issues with older games as well. Stick with PS2 port inputs.

I know you stated you were only building the computer for the 2 games, but just some additional thoughts for you to consider.
----------------------
Also, instead of building such a computer, have you thought about purchasing a refurbished business lease computer instead?

You /may/ even possibly find a laptop that could serve you well.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

I think in that case, the build jointly suggested by gkay and myself is the best option

brandonengell

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

thanks but not to be mean or anything, thats why if u dont no much about counter-strike, t(he most played game competetively, world wide for money) (other than WoW, but CS has more tournements.) Then i really did not want you to reply. :D CS 1.6 will work with any gfx card, any CPU, and XP pro 32 Bit. Also with all mobos really ( TO MY KNOWLEDGE, most likely there is some random CPU's GFX cards MOBOS etc that probably wont run CS 1.6 good.). People who play professinally play on computers which cost sometimes thousands. They play with SLI 8800 and 9800's etc. They play with quad cores. Its all the play with mostly since its all sponsored, and all top teams are sponsored. Its an OLD game made like 9-10 years ago. As a mod from Half Life 1, but it still has its updates and all.

brandonengell

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Yea lol :D
Im going to do that Corsair 400w instead of case supply.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Ok I found some better deals, but you need to act soon to get them:

Antec Sonata III Case and Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU $90 + Free shipping with this promo code: EMCLSLS23 $20 off regular price. This is a good and quiet case, and the PSU is excellent too. This is a very good deal on this combo, the case usually sells for this price by itself, you are getting a high quality 500w PSU for free basically.

WD3200AAKS Caviar Blue 320GB $55 and free shipping. This should be plenty from the sound of it, you don't need the WD6401AALS, this drive is also very quiet and cool.

AMD X2 7750 BE $60 and Free shipping. If you don't care about the free game that comes with it, sell it.

Saphire HD 4670 $60 after rebate

Sony Optiarc DVD Burner SATA $24 and free shipping

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard $65 after rebate

G Skill DDR2 1066 4gb $50 and Free shipping. Its so cheap, you might as well get 4gb DDR2 1066 instead of just 2gb of DDR2 800, and if you wanna try out Windows 7 RC 64bit, you will be able to run it flawlessly (its free BTW, look into it).

With shipping its $436.95, then you get those rebates which make it $416.95 grand total.