[SOLVED] Building PC - No post, restart loop. What could be the issue?

Jan 10, 2020
My friend is building a PC for his parents. I have never built a PC and just bought my first gaming PC last month (pre-built). I have limited knowledge based on my research. My friend invited me to join in on the process so that I could learn about building my own PC/ upgrading. He has already built one prior, but is not an expert. So here is the situation;

After getting everything set up, we tested the rig which would not post. The set up turns on, fans are running and RGB is on but it gets stuck in a reboot loop. We were thinking it could be the Ram as my friend found out it is more powerful than expected, and was compatible with the MOBO based on the PC part picker list but might not be based on the MOBO website. There are mixed reviews online about it. We pulled his ram from his PC (that has RGB, which is the only difference between the two), and the RGB wouldn't light up.

Could it just be that the RAM is not compatible with the MOBO, or could this be something else?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
An update I can provide right now is for the specs that I know;
  • Asrock B450 Mobo
  • Amd Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Asrock Rx 580 8gb GPU
  • Gskill Venfeance V 3200 ram (2 * 8gb)
  • Consair RX 650 PSU
My friend said he can get me more information once he is home.
Are there any beeps that you hear (like 3 long and 1 short for example)? If so that is a "beep code" and you would need to look in the motherboard manual for what it means. Using that code can help you figure out what is going on. Are there any lights on the motherboard that give an error number that you can look up in the motherboard manual for troubleshooting?

It is possible that the RAM speed isn't compatible, however, that would be more likely after you set the XMP...
Jan 10, 2020
I will get the full list from him as I dont recall all the specs. I will post them as soon as I can.

Also I want to clarify, he removed the ram he bought for his parents computer (no RGB) to try his Ram (from his own PC, which has RBG). The RGB that originally worked is on the cooler and fans. I worded this part of the original comment poorly. His ram is duel channel 2 * 8GB. We did try one at a time, which changed nothing. We checked all the connections and didnt find issue but he is definitely feeling lost on what it could be. Its frustrating to think you have to take it all apart when you just put it together, especially when your relatively inexperienced and dont know what the problem is. Such is the life when building PC's. We did refer to the manual throughout the whole process, at least while i was there. (Should have noted this as well).

Thank you for helping.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
  • Asrock B450 Mobo
  • Amd Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Asrock Rx 580 8gb GPU
  • Consair RX 650 PSU

• Asrock B450 Mobo
  • Amd Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Asrock Rx 580 8gb GPU
  • Consair RX 650 PSU
Are there any beeps that you hear (like 3 long and 1 short for example)? If so that is a "beep code" and you would need to look in the motherboard manual for what it means. Using that code can help you figure out what is going on. Are there any lights on the motherboard that give an error number that you can look up in the motherboard manual for troubleshooting?

It is possible that the RAM speed isn't compatible, however, that would be more likely after you set the XMP profile in the BIOS. If you haven't set the XMP profile and the RAM is fully seated, odds are it isn't the RAM.

Solution
Jan 10, 2020

It is possible that the RAM speed isn't compatible, however, that would be more likely after you set the XMP profile in the BIOS. If you haven't set the XMP profile and the RAM is fully seated, odds are it isn't the RAM.

Thank you for your input and advice. I have passed it on to him so that he can try to trouble shoot this more. I dont recall any beeps or lights and he messaged me back with the same. He might see if he can get a different Ram to test from a friend.

I just checked a video I took which also confirmed the lack of beeps. It is not a good quality video and I dont know if it would help in the least as it is not directly looking in the rig ( its at an angle from about a foot or two away), but I could maybe post it. I could also post a picture of the inside of the build before we put the graphics card in its slot as well as the Seagate Firecuda HHD and Kingston SSD in via Sata connection. The SSD on the hard drive is from XPG (SX8200 pro) was already installed just lower than the processor/ cooler fan which is by AMD. The ram is installed, front ports connected. I recall helping him install wireless internet adapter after the graphic card.

I dont know if having information on what was all installed would help, especially with my limited knowledge.

The photo/video sharing on these comments seem to be by link, so I am not sure how to share this from my phone but I can try to figure this out, if you need/ want them.