[SOLVED] building two desktops with "same" motherboard and same issue

Jan 31, 2023
I recently bought two motherboards from memory c.com and they are exact in model. I am building (two) desktops that are almost identical except the psu brands are different, but they are both 650 w. I do not have a m2 ssd drive yet and I am using a 1TB pny SSD drive on both desktops. I only installed the bare minimum to get them running. everything is new for both desktops.
I am building one for myself and my son. I do have computer experience and own several laptops and have built several desktops in the past and never ran into this issue That I am having. I cannot get the motherboard to boot. I connected everything correctly by following the instructions. Made sure the main power supply and CPU power was installed correctly in the motherboard. I made sure the power switch and reset switch pins were correct and also made sure the power led are in the correct pins also.

I get power to the motherboard because all the fans come on including for the CPU. If I hook up either the HDMI cable or the monitor i get a "no signal" on the monitor or a tv. I tried a couple different monitors as well hooking it up to my tv through the hdmi cable and get the same results. I took out the battery for the motherboard to see if the bios needed to be reset and get the same results.
If the problem was only on one desktop i am building then i would think user error but for both to do it and after rechecking the manual and only having literally only these connected to the motherboard {f audio, ram, CPU/CPU cooler/, main power and cpu power/power led/power switch/and reset pin cables and ssd drive} to connect to corresponding. Connections, im not sure why the desktop is not booting up, otherwise I am dead in the water until I can get some help?

can anyone advise me on what i should to do ? thank you for any help . other than returning them and getting different motherboards im not sure what to do. Here is a link from parts pickers that shows what i have installed.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WFmThk

I did follow toms hardware tips but got no results ..

"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I did NOT install the pure rock 2 cpu cooler because the intel cpu cooler that came with the cpu seemed sufficient for now.
I have not installed a operating system yet because i cant get the motherboard to send signal to a monitor to see a boot logo.

Last edited:
Solution
I have not installed a operating system yet because i cant get the motherboard to send signal to a monitor to see a boot logo.

You do realize, that you have F-suffix CPUs, right?

Meaning that CPUs do not have iGPU in them. Hence why there's 0 image on monitor when you plug the monitor directly to MoBo. You have to install GPU and hook the monitor to GPU, if you want to see an image.

Btw, Thermaltake Smart series PSU is terrible unit to use and i'd throw it out ASAP. Better to get rid of it, before it goes "pop", releases magical smoke and fries everything it is connected to.
For good quality PSU, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Meaning that CPUs do not have iGPU in them. Hence why there's 0 image on monitor when you plug the monitor directly to MoBo. You have to install GPU and hook the monitor to GPU, if you want to see an image.

Btw, Thermaltake Smart series PSU is terrible unit to use and i'd throw it out ASAP. Better to get rid of it, before it goes "pop", releases magical smoke and fries everything it is connected to.
For good quality PSU, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Edit:
Since your post is a wall of text, without spacing, i didn't read most of it (my eyes are far more valuable to me than your space bar/enter is to you).

Reactions: zarain
Solution
Jan 31, 2023

(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Edit:
Since your post is a wall of text, without spacing, i didn't read most of it (my eyes are far more valuable to me than your space bar/enter is to you).
My apologies for the no spacing. I had to write that all out to tech support on the motherboard website and they don't give a lot room for spacing. I have eye site issues myself and currently in need of a good pair of glasses so I took the easy route and copied and pasted. This is my very first post ever on Toms Hardware and new to the forum. And the honest answer is no I did know that about the processor.
To be fair i have not built a desktop in years and kinda out of the loop and honestly scrambling to catch up on information that is new. Sucks being half a century old and 5 years behind technology regarding desktops.
In the future though I will be mindful of my spacing to make it easier on the "eyes". My apologies!
P.S. fixed the wall of text and found out my space bars does indeed work! (joking)
Ill try to hook up gpu and try that route and see if that fixes the problem and thank you for responding!

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And the honest answer is no I did know that about the processor.
To be fair i have not built a desktop in years and kinda out of the loop and honestly scrambling to catch up on information that is new. Sucks being half a century old and 5 years behind technology regarding desktops.

Time for education, ;)
link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0058567/processors/intel-core-processors.html

In the future though I will be mindful of my spacing to make it easier on the "eyes". My apologies!

There are internet guidelines, which to follow everywhere (and not just here, in TH forums), those include, but are not limited to:
  • do not write a big wall of text, instead add chapters (spacing).
  • do not write in all capital letters. <- This is considered as shouting and it is rude.
  • do not use vulgar language. <- For obvious reasons.
  • try to be nice/polite.
  • free speech rights/laws doesn't apply to privately held sites/forums.

These are the basics. Though, each site/forum also has their own rules/guidelines. TH rules are here,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/toms-hardware-official-community-rules.3653950/

Reactions: zarain
Jan 31, 2023
Time for education, ;)
link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0058567/processors/intel-core-processors.html

There are internet guidelines, which to follow everywhere (and not just here, in TH forums), those include, but are not limited to:
  • do not write a big wall of text, instead add chapters (spacing).
  • do not write in all capital letters. <- This is considered as shouting and it is rude.
  • do not use vulgar language. <- For obvious reasons.
  • try to be nice/polite.
  • free speech rights/laws doesn't apply to privately held sites/forums.
These are the basics. Though, each site/forum also has their own rules/guidelines. TH rules are here,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/toms-hardware-official-community-rules.3653950/
Thank you and I truly appreciate the knowledge and advise and rules to the forum! This is a great place to get help and much appreciated. I dont do forums, normally anyway. So I have let bad habits creep in I suppose. I did try as you suggested, and you fixed my problem! I have to buy a hdmi monitor due to only having an old monitor that does not have that option. That and as stated its old lol I hooked it up to my television and it worked! In the future ill be mindful of my pargraphs ect... I just wanted to say thank you for your help!!!!

Reactions: Aeacus and Why_Me