Question Building z390-a i7 9700k pc, cant load os?

Jul 2, 2019
Hi. I'm upgrading from an i3 4150 with a new mobo, cpu, ram and gpu

I7 9700k 8x 3.6ghz
Msi z390-a pro
msi GTX 1660
2x 8gb corsair ram 3200
New atx mid tower

with older components
Antec 450w psu 3yrs old
2x ssds 120gb + 240gb 6yrs / 4yrs old
Mouse/keyboard 1yr old each

I have been advised to upgrade my PSU which I will do, but I'd like to know for sure my issue will be resolved.

My problem is the pc boots into bios, everything is detected ie cpu ram fans mobo plugs temps ssds etc.

However, I can't load an OS. Original w7 on 120 ssd won't pass the startup screen and safe mode crashes right after the driver loading list with some graphic tearing at the top. Turning off xhci for the usb in bios allows me to turn numlock on and off during this safe mode freeze.

Win10 install usb freezes before loading. Advanced Repair options crash after loading files. Ununtu live 18.04 didn't work I intend to try the later release also.

Basically, with minimum to all hardware installed in the case results in the same type of crash. I was able to boot into safe mode before a reset to default settings following a change with ram sticks. Now it always crashes in this way. Desperate for advice. Will a new, gold rated psu solve this?

I've reseated everything including the cpu to no avail.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
I had this exact same issue a few weeks ago here. I would try swapping your PSU first because it could be the problem.

Unfortunately, my issue was my CPU, I swapped it out for a different one and everything started working just fine.

Other things to try that I heard from other threads/users while I was researching:
Only booting with 1 RAM stick
Loading windows 10 installer on a new USB with the media creation tool
CMOS reset

Jul 2, 2019
I had this exact same issue a few weeks ago here. I would try swapping your PSU first because it could be the problem.

Unfortunately, my issue was my CPU, I swapped it out for a different one and everything started working just fine.

Other things to try that I heard from other threads/users while I was researching:
Only booting with 1 RAM stick
Loading windows 10 installer on a new USB with the media creation tool
CMOS reset

Okay that put the fear of God in me. Is there a cost neutral way of testing the cpu? It did load safe mode a few times before bios reset? It seems seated well, good temps, identified in bios.

My usb seems to be uefi compatible. I also tried booting with 1 stick. It loaded to safe mode with two before it stopped, I tried one and it worked again in safe mode then stopped working since.

I was told my psu is 80+ white rating? That a 750w bronze struggled with i7 8th gen build and i should go for a gold rated psu.

Really worried about switching psu as the atx plug is frustratingly tough to plug in and out. But it's totally do able.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Haha! The only cost neutral way is if you have another rig with a similar motherboard that works. Outside of that, buying and returning a CPU is an alternative.

When I was dealing with this, it would boot into the windows installer from USB maybe once or twice every 10 attempts. I could get into the command prompt but shortly after doing anything it would just crash with BSOD. I don't think I ever even bothered with safe mode tbh.

A gold rated PSU is better in efficiency than a white or bronze but its not going to make the difference on whether or not your PC boots to windows. Always shoot for a higher quality psu however.

The cheapest test for you right now is trying a different power supply. Why is the 24pin so frustrating?

Jul 2, 2019
Hey thank you both. I haven't had any BSOD really, once i think. Haven't been able to enter win10 usb installer or comnand prompt unfortunately.

I tried with on board graphics and 1 stick also, as few components as possible and with no usb connections. Same result though the glitch at the top of the screen reduces to a slim horizontal line. Keyboard can function in this state when Xhci is disabled

The atx cable just has always made me paranoid about damaging boards. I have it clicked in though. Would spikey fan speeds suggest anything? I'm praying it's a flash or reset needed

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Hey thank you both. I haven't had any BSOD really, once i think. Haven't been able to enter win10 usb installer or comnand prompt unfortunately.

I tried with on board graphics and 1 stick also, as few components as possible and with no usb connections. Same result though the glitch at the top of the screen reduces to a slim horizontal line. Keyboard can function in this state when Xhci is disabled

The atx cable just has always made me paranoid about damaging boards. I have it clicked in though. Would spikey fan speeds suggest anything? I'm praying it's a flash or reset needed

If there are no BSOD's then that's where your problem is a little different from mine. Try a different power supply.. Just take your time with that 24pin, do one side at a time and just pull it a tiny bit at a time.

Jul 2, 2019
Did you figure it out?
Hey there I have certainly made progress just today in fact. So it definitely seems power related but this goes way over my head.

While waiting on a new PSU this week, I spent some time searching the internet and found people suggesting disabling intel c-state. So i tried this and for the first time out of around 50 attempts to boot managed to boot both into normal and safe mode, run chkdsk and let it sit idling.

It's progress but afaik not problem solved. I am told by my cousin it may be that the mobo doesn't recognize the cpu properly and i should perhaps flash the bios. It seems reasonable to me, any suggestion?

I am using z390-a pro board with 1/17/19 bios version. My mobo says the cpu microcode is n.a.. This is over my head, as i say.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Hey there I have certainly made progress just today in fact. So it definitely seems power related but this goes way over my head.

While waiting on a new PSU this week, I spent some time searching the internet and found people suggesting disabling intel c-state. So i tried this and for the first time out of around 50 attempts to boot managed to boot both into normal and safe mode, run chkdsk and let it sit idling.

It's progress but afaik not problem solved. I am told by my cousin it may be that the mobo doesn't recognize the cpu properly and i should perhaps flash the bios. It seems reasonable to me, any suggestion?

I am using z390-a pro board with 1/17/19 bios version. My mobo says the cpu microcode is n.a.. This is over my head, as i say.

Interesting! I had never looked into disabling c-state. Regardless, you should definitely upgrade to the latest bios. I dont know if MSI includes an EZ flash or something within the BIOS that that lets you update it from there.. but I know Asus does. Download the latest BIOS from MSI's website attempt to flash to BIOS to the newest version. (You may have to download it from a seperate computer onto a flashdrive in your case)

Im not sure if it will help or not with the booting, but its important to keep your BIOS up to date for the best support and newest features.

EDIT: Does it boot every time now?

Jul 2, 2019
Interesting! I had never looked into disabling c-state. Regardless, you should definitely upgrade to the latest bios. I dont know if MSI includes an EZ flash or something within the BIOS that that lets you update it from there.. but I know Asus does. Download the latest BIOS from MSI's website attempt to flash to BIOS to the newest version. (You may have to download it from a seperate computer onto a flashdrive in your case)

Im not sure if it will help or not with the booting, but its important to keep your BIOS up to date for the best support and newest features.

EDIT: Does it boot every time now?
Certainly I will update the bios now. I do believe it will help the mobo and cpu. The msi board has a flash option in the BIOS yes so i will use that.

Every time now it boots yes. I've tried it 7 times and all are quick and certain. Waiting on a ps/2 mouse now to circumvent the win7 usb issues with 390 mobos, back up data and install win10. Maybe order a m
2 drive now also. So excited!

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Certainly I will update the bios now. I do believe it will help the mobo and cpu. The msi board has a flash option in the BIOS yes so i will use that.

Every time now it boots yes. I've tried it 7 times and all are quick and certain. Waiting on a ps/2 mouse now to circumvent the win7 usb issues with 390 mobos, back up data and install win10. Maybe order a m
2 drive now also. So excited!

Well thats great news! Congrats! Its a partial fix tbh because disabling c-state isnt a solution, more of a work around. Make sure you try re-enabling and booting with the latest bios, if that doesn't work, try that new PSU.

Keep me posted! Im emotionally invested at this point :oops:

Jul 2, 2019
Well thats great news! Congrats! Its a partial fix tbh because disabling c-state isnt a solution, more of a work around. Make sure you try re-enabling and booting with the latest bios, if that doesn't work, try that new PSU.

Keep me posted! Im emotionally invested at this point :oops:

Haha! For sure i will keep you posted. Next stage i think will be Wednesday.

Can't say how much i appreciate the support, thank you so much for caring! 😀😀

Jul 2, 2019
Quick update

Waited an extra day for a new SSD and luckily switching PSU was very quick and painless. Upgraded to a tx650m corsair.

So with intel c state disabled i installed win10 using a usb to the new drive, updated drivers and fiddled around with settings but I tested once with c state on auto and got the same crash as before.

I then flashed the bios to 1.60 and after the pc rebooted, I thought it's useful to enable c state again to try loading properly.

I discovered not only had c state been on auto already with a normal boot, but my cpu microcode went from n/a to b0.

Hope it helps others!

Jul 2, 2019
Yes because the board came with version 1.40 installed and i noticed the n/a in cpu specifications in the bios. I was worried something was defective but happily not, just my reluctance to update hehe