Built a new computer and it won't load windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raulito28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello, I recently put together a new computer and it is not working :(. I used my old hard drive cd/dvd drive and sound card from my previous computer. I got an amd phenom II x4 970, gskill sniper 2x4gb ddr3 1333 mhz, zotac gta 450 amp edition, asus M4A88T-M motherboard, diablotek phd 450 psu. When I try to start up the computer it goes through the motherboards screen where it shows to go to the bios and stuff for a few seconds and then it says windows error recovery. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause blah blah blah then it let's me choose between launch startup repair and start windows normally. If I start windows then it says starting windows then shows a blue screen for half a second then restarts. If I do the repair then it just asks me to do a system restore but it just says attempting repairs and doesn't do anything else. I then booted the dvd that came with the motherboard and it says loading data then a bunch of dots comes across the screen then it shows me a "welcome to asus motherboard make disk for dos menu rev.1.0" then I have option a) make and xp/xp64bit Ancient/raid driver disk and b) creeks command prompt when I choose a it asks me for a floppy which I don't have and am not capable of using. I have windows 7 home 64 bit. Thank you for reading this and helping me!

Solution

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

try a bios update

Your old ard Drive has instructions which tell Windows what to do with your old hardware and you are surprised that windows doesn't know what to do when it's told to use old hardware that no longer exists in the system and it can't find ?

You have to wipe the HD, at leats the boot partition clean and reinstall Windows so that drivers for your old hardware disappear and drivers for new hardware get installed.

The OS is motherboard specific. New motherboard = new OS.

Put the hard drive back in the old computer so you can boot to it and get information like your CD key off of it, you will need it if you want to reinstall windows on that drive on the new computer.

U need to perform clean install. Save your data first, if u don't know how, ask here.

U cannot just swap HDD from 1 PC and put it to another one. In some cases it will work fine, if CPU is similar and it has fairly new OS, not a decade old XP.

It worked when I tried SSD with W7 from C2D E6750 to 2600K, from Gigabyte to Asus mobo and everything was working fine. No errors.

I don't see any reason why not install new and forget about this, ehm, episode, and learn from it: )

Solution

raulito28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Well I don't have another drive so if I can't fix it then I'll try that. I downloaded windows 7 home 64 bit since I don't have a disk, I was going to use the product key from my old computer. But when I put in the dvd that I burned it doesn't do anything and tries to load windows. What should I do?

Just reinstall windows, it will ask you for the CD key during the process.

Also, RAID has a number of different meanings in the hard drive world.

Any hard drive setup can be described with a RAID number. Indeed there is even a number assigned for "No Raid" as in you have a RAID type even if you aren't using RAID at all.

There are a lot of different types of RAID setups.

Some take two different hard drives, say 500 gb each, and make the computer think they are a single 1 TB hard drive. Others take 2 500 GB hard drives and write everything on the second one that it writes on the first one, so if one breaks you already have a second perfectly working copy installed in the system, you can just remove the broken one and continue on without problems after stopping the RAID or putting in a new 500 GB drive in place of the old.

Then there is the whole thing about SATA drives using RAID Controllers to enable things like AHCI and stuff. Even if you have a "no raid" setup, your BIOS will allow you to use features of RAID automatically.

It is all quite difficult to sort out if you want to learn the ins and outs of everything.

However, most people don't need to. For most people it is pretty seamless. They just plug stuff in and it works in a "no raid" setup automatically.

A long time ago, in OSs like Windows 98, you had to separately install RAID software to get the BIOS to recognize the hard drives during the OS install process, but now all BIOSs come with raid controllers built into the motherboard so new OSs don't require this step anymore that I ever heard of.

Even if you were trying to install Windows 98 today, the Raid controller would be auto detected by the bios and you wouldn't have to install it during the OS install.

In any event, my best advice to you is just to ignore it unless it becomes a serious problem. Just pretend like RAID doesn't exist until you have a problem with it, then you can come back in here at that time and we will help you sort out whatever it is.

- Edit - If you are having trouble getting your computer to boot from the CD, try hitting F8 or whatever key lets you go into the BIOS when you turn the computer on and looking for a setting called BOOT ORDER and ensure that the CD drive is in slot 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.