Built a new PC, crashes when installing drivers

Jul 6, 2018
Hello

I recently built a new PC from scratch. Specs here...

Intel i5 - 8400 coffee lake
Z370 pro motherboard
Kingston 240gb SSD
Old 1 TB Hard drive
GTx 1060ti
Windows 7

When I try and install drivers on my SSD, my PC freezes as soon as any downloading starts. I also had a stop error 0x00000101
When I try to install it on my HDD, it works fine but it's just stuck at 98 percent.

I really want to install my OS on my SSD drive and get it working and its just really frustrating to run into this problem. How can I fix it please? do I need to upgrade to a newer OS because windows 7 told me i'll be missing updates because of my CPU

Solution
Which motherboard do you have, specifically? Z370 Pro could be the MSI Z370-A Pro, Z370-PC Pro, the ASUS TUF Z370-Pro etc.

I can't imagine there's any driver disk with Windows 7 compatible drivers shipping with Z370 boards. The onus is not on the vendors anymore.

While some drivers can be sourced and there's reports of them working (W10 chipset drives in W7), there's just no guarantees - and there's no definitive way to troubleshoot.

To me, it sounds like the issue here is directly between the Z370 board and trying to use an unsupported OS.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which motherboard do you have, specifically? Z370 Pro could be the MSI Z370-A Pro, Z370-PC Pro, the ASUS TUF Z370-Pro etc.

I can't imagine there's any driver disk with Windows 7 compatible drivers shipping with Z370 boards. The onus is not on the vendors anymore.

While some drivers can be sourced and there's reports of them working (W10 chipset drives in W7), there's just no guarantees - and there's no definitive way to troubleshoot.

To me, it sounds like the issue here is directly between the Z370 board and trying to use an unsupported OS.

Solution