Built In Administrator account

Status
Not open for further replies.

sban

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hi,
I did something very stupid while configuring my system. First I enabled the built in administrator account by using the -- "net user administrator /active:yes" command at the cmd prompt. I then password protected it and later used the command prompt to hide it again.

Now, Im locked out, I can neither enable the account again, nor can I do any other thing that requires admin permissions. And irrespective of how I try to enable the account again, every time the buttons provided for accessing the admin permissions are grayed out.

Without admin permissions I cannot re-enable the account. And since the admin priviliges are password protected and hidden, its gotten me locked out

Please help me.

sban

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
After a lengthy process of searching Google and every possible website for a solution, I didn't find anything of help.

I tried logging in to safe mode, but my system wouldn't go to safe mode either.

Then I thought of trying a reset with the windows cd that came with the system (its a Dell); booted using the CD, and instead of re-installing windows, I tried the "Repair" option. From there, it gave me an option to use the command prompt, - which I successfully used to re-enable the built-in administrator account, by simply putting "net user administrator /active:yes"

Rebooted the system, and luckily enough, its back to normal again.

This is my first post on the forum actually.. Thanks price_th, and Pinhedd

Status
Not open for further replies.