Question Built-in touchpad not properly working after resetting PC.

soulthatplays

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Hi, I've recently reset my old laptop, (Dell Inspiron 3147), and now my touchpad doesn't work correctly. Attempting to use the scrolling features, right clicking and such don't work, and in Device Manager the only pointing device that shows up is a PS/2 Compatible Mouse (which I assume is the touchpad) I'm able to use the touchscreen, but the driver installer that Dell told me to install gave an error that Synaptics drivers don't need to be installed, and they never end up installing. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Make sure you have the latest BIOS.
If you happen to have Windows 10 and you do not interrupt Windows updates it does update the touchpad drivers.
The Dell Touchpad drivers also work but you cannot use the Dell setup process. You need to update drivers by browsing to the folder were drivers are located.
Right-click the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and select Uninstall.
Reboot the laptop.
Download the Dell Touchpad Driver.
Run it and click on Extract. Make sure to make note where drivers are extracted.
Go to Device Manager, right-click the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and select Update driver.
Select Browse my computer for drivers and browse to the folder where the drivers were extracted.

soulthatplays

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Make sure you have the latest BIOS.
If you happen to have Windows 10 and you do not interrupt Windows updates it does update the touchpad drivers.
The Dell Touchpad drivers also work but you cannot use the Dell setup process. You need to update drivers by browsing to the folder were drivers are located.
Right-click the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and select Uninstall.
Reboot the laptop.
Download the Dell Touchpad Driver.
Run it and click on Extract. Make sure to make note where drivers are extracted.
Go to Device Manager, right-click the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and select Update driver.
Select Browse my computer for drivers and browse to the folder where the drivers were extracted.
I've attempted to do all of this, but when I attempt to update the drivers with the ones extracted onto my PC, it just says they're updated. I tried to update them by forcing them to update to that driver, but that caused it to stop working altogether. Fortunately, I was able to reset it using the touchscreen. The machine is fully updated, and the bios is running the most recent version. The touchpad, however, is still not working properly.

Last edited: