[SOLVED] built my desktop 'blindly"

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Did so about 5 years ago and seem to be successful. Lately, I have been reading up on my Bios just for the heck of it and came across a couple of areas that have me confused. An abreviated diagram showing a plug being connected to a USB 3.0 port on the MB, A88X-PRO. Now, I know that there are some internal connections one has to make with hd's, memory, fans , but i do not recall plugging a usb 3.0 port internally. I just assumed that the usual ports are automatically enabled and connected....Am i wrong? I thought maybe there is a plug from my power supply that I missed. How can i verify that the usb 3.0 are enabled. I do not see that option in my Bios, I believe. One of those USB ports are called "charger'...for charging faster a phone, tablet ..., but it does not identify which one it is. I am not saying its not in the manual, but like I Said, not Bios savvy.

Solution
ASUS A88X-Pro Motherboard Manual

If this is your motherboard, reference pgs. 2-2 and 2-3.
If you're referring to item 9 on these pages, then this, as @dwd999 states, is the front USB3 panel connector. If your case has front/top USB3 ports, there is a cable from these ports that would plug into this port on your motherboard. If your case does not have front/top USB3 ports, then this port on the motherboard would be left empty.

What is the make and model of your computer case?

-Wolf sends

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
If you're talking about the socket next to the 24 pin main power socket, that's designed to be connected to a cable leading to any front panel usb 3 ports you have on your case.
I think your right, though the diagram just shows a sketch. So then, did I miss doing that and where would that cable come from....obviously it would have to be from the power supply...but the ps has so many plugs...how would i know?

I think your right, though the diagram just shows a sketch. So then, did I miss doing that and where would that cable come from....obviously it would have to be from the power supply...but the ps has so many plugs...how would i know?
No, the socket should be colored blue and the plug that goes into it is also colored blue and connected to the front panel of your case.

Wolfshadw

Titan
ASUS A88X-Pro Motherboard Manual

If this is your motherboard, reference pgs. 2-2 and 2-3.
If you're referring to item 9 on these pages, then this, as @dwd999 states, is the front USB3 panel connector. If your case has front/top USB3 ports, there is a cable from these ports that would plug into this port on your motherboard. If your case does not have front/top USB3 ports, then this port on the motherboard would be left empty.

What is the make and model of your computer case?

-Wolf sends

Solution