Question Built New PC, Bios Loads Up But Getting HDD Post Error and Can't Install Windows

May 14, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm very new to this stuff but just built a PC. Turned it on and BIOS loaded up (I'm not very fluent with BIOS). Seems like everything is working (all the fans turning, all the checks in mobo look good, not that I know BIOS but everything seems to be stable in there and it's consistent about loading up to that).

However, when I try to load install windows (from USB) I select 64 bit and after loading for a few seconds it goes to a black screen that says "Windows failed to start. A recent..." it goes on to say insert disc and click repair and the end of message gives "Status: 0xc000000d" and "Info: An unexpected error has occurred". My motherboard also give me a message "HDD Post Error" after it goes through all the checks. I am using a Samsung 970 Evo Plus and I had it in M.2_1 slot so moved it to M.2_2 slot to see if that changed anything. It was basically same outcome, but this time it loaded for a few seconds and I got the blue screen that says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart..." and give stop code I01_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

Here's the system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s43RXv

I'm so new to this stuff that I'm assuming (hoping) it's something simple to fix. I was searching the web and wasn't clear on what to do next, so thought I would check with all of you.

Thanks in advance!

May 14, 2020
I did, but I’m not exactly sure how, haha. I took the sad out and reformatted/set up on another PC to confirm it was working. Then I put it back in my new PC and I was able to get to the windows load screen. However, I also had to use a different windows thumb drive because mine wasn’t working (said files were missing or corrupted). I’m new to this stuff so not sure if that description is entirely accurate, but after those steps everything worked fine and continue yes to work fine. May have been as simple as just not being seated properly, so maybe take it out and put it back in or try putting it into a different port. Hope that helps!

Jamie9622

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
The thing is I've done the exact same thing I've put a fresh install on another system and it runs perfectly on that but soon as I put the ssd in my new build I get nothing but hits bio's screen and restarts, I'm pretty new to and this is baffling me