Question Bunch of issues with new, custom built PC. Not sure if it's the botherboard or something else?

Kyris

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
So; I'm going to be as detailed as I can and hope I don't miss anything crucial.
My PC died a few months ago, wouldn' turn on at all. decided to just replace it; i got the parts in and built the new PC yesterday, save for a new GPU because I figured I'd just use the old one until the new cards come out in a few weeks.
Anyway; here are the parts I bought.

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ELITE LGA 1151
Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold
Thermaltake V250 Tempered Glass ARGB Edition
and the video card I'm using from the old PC is a PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 390 - don't be too harsh, I bought it 4 years ago.

the PC was running flawlessly when I initially built it, except that the front 3 fans weren't working. I figured it out to be an issue with forgetting to plug in the SATA power cables(my bad).
ever since then, however. I've had a ton of issues. My mouse(a razer naga trinity) just, connects and reconnects endlessly, if I turn the PC off and back on it works fine for a few minutes and then the issues start up again. Speakers don't work at all, headphones don't work at all no matter which jack is used - however, audio does come out of my monitor which is using HDMI, and my computer recognizes that there are audio devices plugged in, it's just that I get absolutely no audio from them.
My monitor is also having a weird glitch that's hard to explain, it's almost like the vertical resolution is changing down slightly? like, it's not so much a black bar at the top of the screen as it looks like the top of the screen is being pushed down. It also seems like it shorted out my Scarlett Solo, as soon as I stared having these issues, my scarlett no longer works on my PC or my mac laptop.

is this a motherboard issue? I tried updating all my drivers I can think of and it doesn't seem to be an issue with that. and I'm not sure what else the issue could be; I've checked all the cords multiple times and they seem to be seated fine; even tried unplugging them all and replugging them back into the motherboard with little to not success. Any and all help in solving these issues would be greatly appreciated.

edit: seems like I may have fixed the issue with the mouse; despite having updated razer synapse to the newest version, it seems like it was an issue with that, as uninstalling it seems to have fixed the issue, hopefully permanently.

edit 2: okay, doesn't seem to have a problem with synapse after all. Starting to seem more and more like a possible PSU issue? I started my RGBfusion app, and the mouse started disconnecting/reconnecting again, I unplugged the keyboard by mistake rather than the mouse, and when I did that the mouse started working again; which to me seems like the USBs aren't getting enough power? I currently have the keyboard plugged into a USB 2.0 and the mouse in a 3.0 and they're both working for now.

edit 3: Nope...Same issues; the mouse and keyboard were working fine, I brought up RGBfusion again and the issues started happening again, so looking like it is a motherboard issue. Mouse still isn't working, I've plugged it into every single USB slot on the computer, including the front case USBs and nothing seems to be working anymore.

edit 4; aaand i'm back to having no clue what the issue is. RGB fusion certainly exacerbates the issue, everytime the app come up my mouse freaks out and becomes entire unusable. I went as far as uninsalling RGB fusion but still having mouse issues. Not to mention my speakers still aren't working.

Last edited:

Kyris

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
So, I'm going to stop editing the page since it seems to push the post into the spam filter and requires review everytime I do; that said, I'm still trying to figure things out. One thing I've noticed is, a lot of these issues seem to either be caused by, or exacerbated by, various controller apps; things like razer synapse, or RGB fusion. It seems like things can be going perfectly fine but as soon as I launch one of them, everything just goes haywire.

I still have no idea how to solve the audio issue, however. I'm currently just completely wiping my hard drives and reinstalling windows and starting from 0. - I had kept the hard drives from the previous computer, so that might have something to do with it? conflicting drivers or something? who knows

Last edited: