[SOLVED] Bunch of Issues

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
So I'm basically getting this issue.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/oneixn/latest_windows_11_insider_randomly_freezes/

It's driving me nuts, explorer crashes I guess? or freezes? but the mouse works, i can type and click things, but everything is unresponsive. I actually really like windows 11 (rare and unpopular opinion) aside from the fact that you can't select 'never combine windows'... for the taskbar settings.

I also had an issue installing windows 11, this is a brand new computer bought last week and when trying to install windows I got the message that my computer doesn't meet the requirements. I was thinking "you're kidding right?" because my system specs are a ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.

TPM was enable in the bios and secure boot! So I had to do this bypass to even install windows 11 what gives?
Bypass:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpewOl4yqk

I really expected ZERO problems when building this system and switching to windows 11. Not a problem of such a serious nature as a system hang at least (maybe some problems that carried over from windows 7/8 bugs which are also found in windows 10). But this is ridiculous =(

I'm also getting what I consider very bad IDLE temps... at 57 degrees average for my processor. (Though my room is 30 degrees and I currently have a negative pressure case because I still need to install 1 more intake fan). This is despite the fact that I have the biggest air cooler in existence, the pro siphon elite mounted on the processor. My only conclusion is that without this heatsink the processor would melt and explode at these idle temps.

ALL these issues really worry me besides making my computer not very reliable because I've been trying to download a game for 3 days and the download keeps getting reset every time the desktop freezes. But it worries me because what happens if it freezes when my temperature issue isn't that great? and that somehow affects fan control and the processor melts because I'm sleeping? So I can't even leave the computer on at night to download. How can I tell if this is a windows 11 issue, or an issue with the processor? or maybe I made errors putting the computer together?... this is a very expensive computer and I can't afford anything to be wrong with the hardware - so I actually hope it's a windows 11 issue, or a graphic driver issue.

Solution
do you have latest bios on motherboard? https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_bios
latest chipset drivers? = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

I also had an issue installing windows 11, this is a brand new computer bought last week and when trying to install windows I got the message that my computer doesn't meet the requirements. I was thinking "you're kidding right?" because my system specs are a ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.
that does seem wrong. why I asked about BIOS.

are you on insiders...

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have latest bios on motherboard? https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_bios
latest chipset drivers? = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

are you on insiders or release version?

Reactions: valourant
Solution

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

are you on insiders or release version?

So windows wont update this automatically? I thought windows update will actually get all this from the ASUS site? or does windows update provide it's own drivers? I remember manually updating drivers and bios 15 years ago.... haha.

and nope I am on BIOS 3801... I guess I need to read how to flash the bios again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would use EZ Flash 3. Page 3-3 here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...68_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

Its always a good idea to check motherboard website after you upgrade windows, some drivers do change.
I already looked for chipset drivers on Asus site and they older than what AMD have now. So I gave you that link.

windows may have a package of drivers for Asus that match board, it might have been installed through windows update, but it probably isn't the newest drivers. Otherwise Windows update only gets drivers if the hardware makers give them copies for testing. The Nvidia drivers it has are from 2020, for instance.

aside from the fact that you can't select 'never combine windows'... for the taskbar settings.
that will be fixed in 22h1 whenever they release that.

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
i would use EZ Flash 3. Page 3-3 here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...68_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_DARK_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

Its always a good idea to check motherboard website after you upgrade windows, some drivers do change.
I already looked for chipset drivers on Asus site and they older than what AMD have now. So I gave you that link.

windows may have a package of drivers for Asus that match board, it might have been installed through windows update, but it probably isn't the newest drivers. Otherwise Windows update only gets drivers if the hardware makers give them copies for testing. The Nvidia drivers it has are from 2020, for instance.

that will be fixed in 22h1 whenever they release that.
nice i just flashed my bios using the utility inside the bios, so i guess i will install every driver on that page? and if windows has a newer one it will automatically replace an old one, i assume? (like if i overwrite a newer driver with an older one by accident).

EDIT: just curious why does this site i have saved have older drivers than the site you gave me? https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherbo...g-crosshair-viii-hero-model/helpdesk_download

and should I use the site your gave me instead of this site - since the chipset drivers here looks outdated?

EDIT2: NVM that link is for HERO only, and not dark hero... weird that their driver is behind by 1 year for virtually the same motherboard
EDIT3: oh the DARK hero drivers are 2021 too... and site you linked only says AMD chipset, but not specific to my motherboard?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asus aren't always the fastest to update the drivers on there.
AMD make the chips so they have the drivers first, then give them to Asus.

see if you have any problems now before we update any other drivers randomly.

Colif

Win 11 Master

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
for instance the lan drivers Asus have are from Jan 13 yet the newest on here are from June
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
download Win11 Auto Installation Program (NetAdapterCx) from under windows header on above link

windows may have newer version of the Audio drivers now.
you don't need armoury crate unless its already installed.

AMD Chipset Software Install Summary

Name : AMD Processor Power Management Support
Version : 7.0.4.4
Install : Success

Name : AMD PCI Device Driver
Version : 1.0.0.87

Name : AMD GPIO Driver
Version : 2.2.0.130

Name : AMD PSP Driver
Version : 5.18.0.0

Name : AMD SMBus Driver
Version : 5.12.0.38

so installed these, it will take awhile to see if windows still hangs, anywhere from 1 hour to 2 days, so i will upvote the best reply and complete the thread if the problem is solved then :)

EDlT: Okay installed the realtek win 11 auto update and did repair and installed/updated around 4 new drivers?

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
The motherbaord uses an AMD X570 chipset, same as mine.
Going to AMD means you get the latest drivers.

take your time.

see this froze on my screen, but in this case only this app froze, the rest of windows works otherwise i wouldn't be able to post this.
https://i.ibb.co/G2Tr2bq/Screenshot-2022-06-02-135450.png

also look at this insane idle temp... unusually high right now, maybe because that app froze?
https://i.ibb.co/BVXTtZK/Screenshot-2022-06-02-135718.png

it was 73, now 59, now 60 and it constantly fluctuates sometimes between 45 and 56 usually in idle. but it more often stays in the 50 ranges and only reads in mid 40s for 2 seconds. it's really weird. makes me think armory crate just isn't accurate? also i need some sort of good CPU temp monitoring program so if I uninstalled armory crate then what do you recommend?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ryzen CPU always changing temps, its just how they work.

So its still freezing?
try running the tests in this on ssd - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279

I wonder if all it needed after the updater froze was a restart.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.
what cooling?
what Case?

what ambient temps there?
i only have a 3600xt and last night saw 35c for a while... but it was -3c

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Ryzen CPU always changing temps, its just how they work.

So its still freezing?
try running the tests in this on ssd - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279

I wonder if all it needed after the updater froze was a restart.

no no the app froze, which is unusual - has not happened that only an app freezes on this PC yet... what usually happens is that everything freezes and alt-ctrl-del doesn't work, but you can push windows key and type CMD in the search field, but CMD wont open, and you can move the mouse and click to switch to windows, but can't do anything in those windows, and can't exit those windows, only switch to them...

so it basically feels like a freeze, like a whole system hang, and even armory crate stops reporting what the processor temps are and is stuck at the last report - the only way out is to power off the PC.

this was just an application freeze, and I wasn't able to restart the PC before it froze. I alt-ctrl-del and ended the task, and then manually restarted the PC after (rather than through the program).

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.
what cooling?
what Case?

what ambient temps there?
i only have a 3600xt and last night saw 35c for a while... but it was -3c

I have a dark base pro 900 case from be quiet, so it's a tower case, lots of room. I have be silent wings 3 fans in the case that have a CFM of 77ish, and are 140mm. There is currently 2 intake fans, 2 exhaust fans on the top, and 1 exhaust fan on the back (so it's a negative pressure case right now). I'm using a pro siphon elite air cooler for the processor that comes with 4 fans that exhaust air out the top of the case.

I plan to install 1 more intake fan whenever it's in stock.. they were out of stock.

My room temp is a balmy is 28-30 degrees though, when usually people have 22 degrees inside their rooms.

EDIT: the processor temps seem more stable now after restart, no longer fluctuating so often? and betwen 46-48 now. CPU package temp seems much cooler now too at 55-58c,

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its negative pressure you don't want more intake fans as then it won't be negative pressure... or harder to maintain anyway, balanced is hard to get right
Negative needs more exhausts than intakes. I had to check as I wasn't sure... but I have that now, 3 x 140mm exhausts, 2x 120mm intakes.

I wonder if the fact you have negative is causing the heat from the 3080TI to be drawn into the CPU heatsink while you play games. Going positive might fix that if you can get heat from GPU blown out the back.

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
if its negative pressure you don't want more intake fans as then it won't be negative pressure... or harder to maintain anyway, balanced is hard to get right
Negative needs more exhausts than intakes. I had to check as I wasn't sure... but I have that now, 3 x 140mm exhausts, 2x 120mm intakes.

I wonder if the fact you have negative is causing the heat from the 3080TI to be drawn into the CPU heatsink while you play games. Going positive might fix that if you can get heat from GPU blown out the back.
yeah i only just discovered what negative/ positive pressure, and airflow vs static means...

i'm not really sure what is better... because a case with high positive pressure is apparently great for cooling... since your case is flooded with fresh air that passively gets replaced by more fresh air on it's own. an example of this is just having 3 intake fans and no exhaust fans.

a case with negative pressure exists when you have more exhaust fans than intake? so hot air gets expelled more often. which i've read is also great for cooling! both are great for cooling, so i don't really understand? the downside to negative pressure is if you have a lot of dust it will make it's way into the case from any openings passively. since negative pressure will suck in air passively.

so... i've read peoples opinion's that the most ideal case is one with a slight positive pressure? but i've never really seen data to determine what is best. so who knows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i assumed the wd program had a test in it... the old data life guard program does. I don't have a WD SSD so can't check.

seems all it shows is smart scores. I assumed it had tests... can at least look at SMART and see if its okay there.

Problem is if its physical none of these tests can see it.

really depends on the case design

positive is great as it blows heat out of case. My last case was positive, had 3 x 180mm fans as intake, no heat stayed in case for long. If you have filters on the intake fans it stops any dust that will get in.

Negative is also good but if you have a wide open case with plenty of mesh the dust will try to get in anywhere you don't have a fan to expel it. I find I need to clean top of my case a lot. But thats a design fault of my case, if you don't have filters on the top of case it won't happen.
negative works well with an AIO as intake.
your case looks more suited to negative based on fact you have a door blocking front fans
https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1472

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
yep, i'm keeping the front door open, and sadly my case doesn't let me install a third fan on the front because if i did it would have to be without a mesh - which is really bad design.

so when i install a third intake fan it will be on the bottom since there is a very long mesh on the bottom of the case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
EDIT: the processor temps seem more stable now after restart, no longer fluctuating so often? and betwen 46-48 now. CPU package temp seems much cooler now too at 55-58c,
having newest bios and chipset drivers that match would have helped that.
i don't look at package temps as they always warmer than my cores, and I always have a core that wakes, boosts to a certain speed and rushes back to idle again, I got sick of watching it. I watch Core temperature on HWINFO now.

Any more freezes?

Adding 3rd intake might disturb air patterns, may not help. might blow some of the air that is coming through the front out the top.

I have to go soon as its 5am.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Had you changed any settings in the BIOS before installing?
the fact it is showing you aren't using UEFI boot is reason secure boot isn't capable.

can you open command prompt (admin)
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter

Is there a asterix under the GPT header?
exit program once finished. I am just checking

I didn't think win 11 let you install it as non GPT, so if it doesn't have the asterix I will have learned more.
Are you on insiders? that might be why it lets you...

note: windows 11 doesn't enforce secure boot, I haven't had it on since I started using 11 in August last year. It seems its happy that it knows PC could run it, it doesn't enforce it.

Last edited:

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Had you changed any settings in the BIOS before installing?
the fact it is showing you aren't using UEFI boot is reason secure boot isn't capable.

can you open command prompt (admin)
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter

Is there a asterix under the GPT header?
exit program once finished. I am just checking

I didn't think win 11 let you install it as non GPT, so if it doesn't have the asterix I will have learned more.
Are you on insiders? that might be why it lets you...

note: windows 11 doesn't enforce secure boot, I haven't had it on since I started using 11 in August last year. It seems its happy that it knows PC could run it, it doesn't enforce it.

oh i see i did change boot settings to allow for legacy, but i didn't disable UEFI - how come under UEFI you can't set boot order?

https://i.ibb.co/HxNv5Jf/Screenshot-2022-06-03-091440.png
this is what I see with diskpart

So far the computer didn't freeze again so I think it's fixed!

Do you know much about how PWM works? is this only something managed in the bios? or are there programs that can monitor all your PWM fans? currently all my case fans are hooked to a fan controller in my case which is then plugged into the Chassis-3 fan port on the motherboard. Basically my question is - does plugging the fans in and turning on the computer mean everything is fine and that's all I have to do and it's all running correctly? or is there more I have to do to make sure I'm getting proper cooling.

P.S no idea what insiders is, I managed to install windows because of the youtube video i linked in my first post (which bypassed the secure boot and TPM checks). My windows 11 copy is from the store, and it's on a USB.