[SOLVED] Bunch of Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
So I'm basically getting this issue.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/oneixn/latest_windows_11_insider_randomly_freezes/

It's driving me nuts, explorer crashes I guess? or freezes? but the mouse works, i can type and click things, but everything is unresponsive. I actually really like windows 11 (rare and unpopular opinion) aside from the fact that you can't select 'never combine windows'... for the taskbar settings.

I also had an issue installing windows 11, this is a brand new computer bought last week and when trying to install windows I got the message that my computer doesn't meet the requirements. I was thinking "you're kidding right?" because my system specs are a ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.

TPM was enable in the bios and secure boot! So I had to do this bypass to even install windows 11 what gives?
Bypass:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpewOl4yqk

I really expected ZERO problems when building this system and switching to windows 11. Not a problem of such a serious nature as a system hang at least (maybe some problems that carried over from windows 7/8 bugs which are also found in windows 10). But this is ridiculous =(

I'm also getting what I consider very bad IDLE temps... at 57 degrees average for my processor. (Though my room is 30 degrees and I currently have a negative pressure case because I still need to install 1 more intake fan). This is despite the fact that I have the biggest air cooler in existence, the pro siphon elite mounted on the processor. My only conclusion is that without this heatsink the processor would melt and explode at these idle temps.

ALL these issues really worry me besides making my computer not very reliable because I've been trying to download a game for 3 days and the download keeps getting reset every time the desktop freezes. But it worries me because what happens if it freezes when my temperature issue isn't that great? and that somehow affects fan control and the processor melts because I'm sleeping? So I can't even leave the computer on at night to download. How can I tell if this is a windows 11 issue, or an issue with the processor? or maybe I made errors putting the computer together?... this is a very expensive computer and I can't afford anything to be wrong with the hardware - so I actually hope it's a windows 11 issue, or a graphic driver issue.

Solution
do you have latest bios on motherboard? https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_bios
latest chipset drivers? = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

I also had an issue installing windows 11, this is a brand new computer bought last week and when trying to install windows I got the message that my computer doesn't meet the requirements. I was thinking "you're kidding right?" because my system specs are a ASUS Dark Hero VIII Motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950X processor, 32 gigs of ram (3600mhz), and a 3080TI RTX graphic card, with a 2 TB Western digital Black SN850 Gen 4 NVMe drive.
that does seem wrong. why I asked about BIOS.

are you on insiders...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you enabled CSM in the Bios?
Its on page 43 here. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

Its strange, Asus bios used to have 3 settings in that menu, Enabled, Disabled & Auto.
Now it seems you only have 2 choices, on or off
[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.
[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.

Auto used to be able to switch between boot methods at startup, So installing win 10 on an Asus motherboard could lead you to install as MBR or GPT, it depends what it starts up as. On the same PC I managed to get both in 2 different installs.

You are second person in recent times who has enabled it and had windows install as MBR not GPT
Its actually possible to convert to GPT, but if win 11 keeps working as is you might not need to. It depends on what happens when they release Version 22H1 of WIn 11, as it probably reverse any changes you did to run win 11 like it is.

I only mentioned Insiders based on your reddit link. Its a beta program run by Microsoft to test unreleased versions of windows, mainly to find massive problems before release.

I am not sure about the fan problem.

if you ever get a drive bigger than 2tb you will want to use GPT
Explanation of terms:
UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
If your PC is less than 11 years old, you have a UEFI bios now

In 2006 or so Intel decided the bios as it was at time was too limited and needed to be replaced so that it supported newer technologies as they were invented
By about 2009 a consortium of hardware makers had combined to create UEFI standard

Old bios were limited,
  • they didn't know what a mouse was for, so everything was keyboard driven
  • they weren't expandable, everything had to fit in a small amount of memory
  • they only supported Master Boot Record (MBR) which can only have 4 partitions per drive (there are tricks to get around this) and max drive size is 2.2 tb
UEFI bios overcame all the limitations of legacy bios (as it came to be called)
  • it supports mouse, it has a GUI so it looks better than previous bios could
  • Its expandable, it can be added to to grow as new hardware is created.
  • UEFI supports MBR & GPT Drives
GPT = GUID Partition Table
GUID = Global Unique ID = Every GPT drive on earth has a unique ID
GPT drives can have a max of 255 partitions on them
Max size of a GPT drive/partition is 18.8 million TB

Last edited:
Reactions: valourant

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
So you enabled CSM in the Bios?
Its on page 43 here. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

Its strange, Asus bios used to have 3 settings in that menu, Enabled, Disabled & Auto.
Now it seems you only have 2 choices, on or off
[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.
[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.

Auto used to be able to switch between boot methods at startup, So installing win 10 on an Asus motherboard could lead you to install as MBR or GPT, it depends what it starts up as. On the same PC I managed to get both in 2 different installs.

You are second person in recent times who has enabled it and had windows install as MBR not GPT
Its actually possible to convert to GPT, but if win 11 keeps working as is you might not need to. It depends on what happens when they release Version 22H1 of WIn 11, as it probably reverse any changes you did to run win 11 like it is.

I only mentioned Insiders based on your reddit link. Its a beta program run by Microsoft to test unreleased versions of windows, mainly to find massive problems before release.

I am not sure about the fan problem.

if you ever get a drive bigger than 2tb you will want to use GPT
Explanation of terms:
UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
If your PC is less than 11 years old, you have a UEFI bios now

In 2006 or so Intel decided the bios as it was at time was too limited and needed to be replaced so that it supported newer technologies as they were invented
By about 2009 a consortium of hardware makers had combined to create UEFI standard

Old bios were limited,
  • they didn't know what a mouse was for, so everything was keyboard driven
  • they weren't expandable, everything had to fit in a small amount of memory
  • they only supported Master Boot Record (MBR) which can only have 4 partitions per drive (there are tricks to get around this) and max drive size is 2.2 tb
UEFI bios overcame all the limitations of legacy bios (as it came to be called)
  • it supports mouse, it has a GUI so it looks better than previous bios could
  • Its expandable, it can be added to to grow as new hardware is created.
  • UEFI supports MBR & GPT Drives
GPT = GUID Partition Table
GUID = Global Unique ID = Every GPT drive on earth has a unique ID
GPT drives can have a max of 255 partitions on them
Max size of a GPT drive/partition is 18.8 million TB

Yeah I enabled CSM in the bios... but I thought my PC would still support secure boot/UEFI if I did that.

Is there a way to tell if I have windows as MBR or GPT?

Because the bios recognized my drive on it's own... I just assumed it would always default to GPT (I read about the new UEFI BIOS being created so that drives bigger than 2TB could work).

EDIT: Okay I used the mbr2gpt tool by restarting the PC in CMD and typing mbr2gpt /validate and mbr2gpt /convert
decided to do this because I read UEFI/GPT drives will be faster than MBR... and I have an NVME drive so I want to utilize the full speed/capabilities.

Anyway then I turned CSM off - the computer could not boot into windows with CSM off before, and now it boots into windows with it off and I checked MSINFO and it says secure boot and UEFI are enabled also, and I also checked the drive is disk management/properties/volume/populate, and it now says it's a GPT drive.

So I guess it worked?!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Anyway then I turned CSM off - the computer could not boot into windows with CSM off before, and now it boots into windows with it off and I checked MSINFO and it says secure boot and UEFI are enabled also, and I also checked the drive is disk management/properties/volume/populate, and it now says it's a GPT drive.
that sounds good to me.
I would have given you a link if I had thought you were going to convert now.

I am not sure about a speed boost from using GPT at boot
Once booted to the OS partition there should be no performance differences. There are advantages of GPT over MBR, but speed isn't one of them. GPT allows more that the 4 MBR partitions, and there's a secondary GPT header in case the primary one gets corrupted.
https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/160324-gpt-vs-mbr-speed.html

it doesn't matter now, its better to be on GPT just for secure boot.

Reactions: valourant

valourant

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
that sounds good to me.
I would have given you a link if I had thought you were going to convert now.

I am not sure about a speed boost from using GPT at boot

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/160324-gpt-vs-mbr-speed.html

it doesn't matter now, its better to be on GPT just for secure boot.
thanks again for all the help, all my issues are solved !