Burglars Might Read Your Facebook and Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There's a reason I throw my electronics boxes away at work. Nothing like advertising "Hey I just bought a 42" OLED!" to my neighbors who know when I'm home and when I'm not.

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Over here in the Netherlands, the government is even launching television spots about this all, telling people to be more careful.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]There's a reason I throw my electronics boxes away at work. Nothing like advertising "Hey I just bought a 42" OLED!" to my neighbors who know when I'm home and when I'm not.[/citation]
Boy, you bought a 42 in. OLED screen!! If that was true,I'd rob your house as well ;) jk

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If we just shutdown these stupid sites, we wouldn't have to have stories about how stupid the people who use them are. We all know most tweeters and facebookers are stupid, can we stop calling it "news"?

I mean, I could post "going on vacation, leaving my door unlocked and $500 on my dresser", but someone would have to know where I lived first. This means that:
a) one of my close real-life friends plans to rob me, in which case I need to re-evaluate my friends,
b) I posted my address online, which was insanely stupid and I deserve to get robbed, again, relating to how stupid most of these people are.

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]If we just shutdown these stupid sites, we wouldn't have to have stories about how stupid the people who use them are. We all know most tweeters and facebookers are stupid, can we stop calling it "news"?I mean, I could post "going on vacation, leaving my door unlocked and $500 on my dresser", but someone would have to know where I lived first. This means that: a) one of my close real-life friends plans to rob me, in which case I need to re-evaluate my friends, b) I posted my address online, which was insanely stupid and I deserve to get robbed, again, relating to how stupid most of these people are.[/citation]

There are some really good uses for Facebook and Twitter, most of the parties I've gone to recently have been organized on Facebook because it makes it really smooth and easy.

a) I agree with you, people should not associated with such immoral characters.
b) Our identities and locations aren't as sacred as some people think, almost anyone in the U.S. can be found by address using just their first and last name. Try a reverse lookup using www.anywho.com, even most unlisted phone #'s can be found there.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Well it's what you get for not making your profile private or having robbers as friends.[/citation]

I know really, why would you let other people (other than friends) see your wall, all people can see of my FB is name and picture.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I still don't understand the hype for these sites. I guess people want fame or recognition oir something. I think they (Facebook and such) are fad and will wither away soon.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"In other words, no control over who could see what they were posting."
That's why they have "you must add this user as a friend to see personal information"
If anything, finding out who robbed you should be easy. Your friends.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]ok i'll be sure to frequently post "cleaning my Glock and feeding my alligator" to deter them![/citation]
lol, im going to use this one..

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]area51reopened[/nom]i just purchased 5 pitbulls,three at front door 3 at back door!lol[/citation]
perfect... ill come in the basement window :)

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I agree too: if you get robbed because of Facebook, it's not the fault of Facebook. If you get robbed because you didn't lock the door, is it the fault of your home's manufacturer or the door lock's manufacturer? Just blame yourself and your friend who robbed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.