Burned, Dropped, Drowned: HDD Recovery In Pictures

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I would think that with a flood or fire or tornado coming, the HDD's might also not be at the top of the list, even if they were easily removable. I might be focused more on my own assets if you know what I mean.

I remember another story from Iowa a few years back where 1 small company had a rigorous backup system with off site storage. Home, Office and I think even a separate warehouse. Flood and fire got them all.

As always, the time to plan ahead is just that. I guess it's time for me to consider a backup protocol for 320GB of MP3's that my daughter has, as well as the 3000 pictures that she has taken of the dog.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
$1,000 is cheap if you lost all of your business or prized personal data and for whatever reason you didn't have a backup or have a failed backup. I'm very paranoid with lost data so here's what I do... Three seperate USB 2.0 external backup drives and rotate every week to backup. I don't do incremental daily backups - don't trust corruptions and mishaps. I back up only once a week to minimize additional wear on the main HDs. Also, I always run 2 HDs, one for the OS and programs and one for file storage to spread the wear of the HD. And finally every 2 mos I do a physical HD mirror (I always buy HDs in pairs... meaning a workstation with 2 HDs, I buy 4). Extremely critical files I duplicate and burn to DVD with verification and put in the bank vault (but never look at DVDs as permanant storage since the shelf life is about 20 yrs). Also I do not use Raid of any combination 0, 5 etc. Why? Physical separation of data and the manual hardware mirroring is still going to be safer. Raid is great if you have HD failure but there are also virus and hacks that can destroy an entire raid system. Ok so why am I so paranoid??? Because a data recovery 7 yrs ago cost me $3200... Learned my lesson! The $3200 was chump change compared to the lost time and near heart attack. I'm thankful today that data recovery is available because had I not been able to recover the data 7 yrs ago... I'd hate to think about it. Bottomline: At least make a copy or back up of your important work and personal files. Even if it means burning several CDs or DVDs. Just something you can fall back on.

Also if you are a heavy Outlook like me, try using multiple PST files. And always backup your PST file religiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.