Question Burned PCI-E connectors to GPU

Krytor

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
I have had my build now for 3 years and just now running into this problem. I have a R9 290 and the Rosewell Photon 750w and the plastic connectors on the cables (PCI-e) from the P.S.U. to the G.P.U. are burned and melted https://imgur.com/a/WjnWTPa . I had just noticed GPU connected to both 3.3v and the 5v but the 5v is burning the connectors. this is my first build and never heard anything about which voltage to use (3.3v or 5v) everyone just stated that you need a 550w or higher power supply. the question is why are my connectors on my cables from the PSU to the GPU burning and melting?

That PCIe power connector only supplies +12V power to the graphics card. The three melted pin housings are all +12V pins.

Loose connections that result in increased electrical resistance will cause arcing or heating that will melt the connector housing.

Krytor

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015

the connectors were in firm and the locking pin was in place. I only found out what was happening when my computer kept having a catastrophic error and I took out the GPU and put it back in.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
You really do not want to skimp on the power supply, and that one's not top-tier. Nothing else would've melted the connectors.

I had one melt things and destroy a system 15 years ago too, that's how you learn a lot of the time.

I concur with SR-71, take that out of your system and get a high quality power supply and your problem will go away.

Krytor

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015

I have my GPU working on a single cable now with three connectors Via the 3.3v and I am not using the 5v anymore. Think of sending the PSU back under 5 year warranty, what gets me is it has a 80 gold plus rating.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I would use the warranty, then sell the replacement one, you could probably get $50 for it.

Maybe they mean molex to pci-e power connectors? Not a very good idea either.

But yeah, do what you want, but you'll likely regret it if you don't want to take our advice.