[SOLVED] Burning a DVD Drive causing my laptop to shut down unexpectedly

May 16, 2022
I've recently using my gaming laptop for burn the dvd. When I burn a single DVD in External DVD ROM (ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U LITE), my laptop was completely shutting down when starts the burning session. What should I do?

My laptop specs:
  • ACER NITRO 5 (AN515-57)
  • RTX 3050 4gb (75w TDP)
  • 1x16 GB RAM DDR4
  • Intel Core I7 - 11800H (45w TDP)
  • Windows 11 Home Edition 64-bit

Solution
That's a bizarre issue, and might just be a matter of the USB port not able to supply enough power to run the external DVD writer during write ops...

If it works with another port, I'd probably just leave well enough alone.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the laptop may not be able to fulfill the DVD's power requirements.

However, could be buggy copying software or drivers.

= = = =

What burning software are you using?

What is being "burned" to the DVD?

This DVD drive?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard...rives/External-DVD-Drive/SDRW08D2SU/techspec/

USB connection only and relies on laptop for power via the USB port - correct?

On the laptop look in Reliability History and Event Event.

Either one or both tools may be capturing an error code, warning, or even some informational event captured just before or at the time of the laptop shutting down.

I've recently using my gaming laptop for burn the dvd. When I burn a single DVD in External DVD ROM (ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U LITE), my laptop was completely shutting down when starts the burning session. What should I do?

My laptop specs:
  • ACER NITRO 5 (AN515-57)
  • RTX 3050 4gb (75w TDP)
  • 1x16 GB RAM DDR4
  • Intel Core I7 - 11800H (45w TDP)
  • Windows 11 Home Edition 64-bit
Are you doing this with the laptop on battery or plugged in?

Test the burner on a different pc.

May 16, 2022
Well if you want to spend bucks swap out the mobo.

It would be easier to just not use that port with the burner.
It's literally spending out of $900 dollar for changing of my gaming laptop motherboard because of External DVD Drive!

I didn't want to spend more of my money and my device is still under warranty 2 years.

Can this problem can be covered by under warranty acer or not? My device was buyed since a month ago.