burning smell coming from my pc

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I have recently upgraded my graphics card to msi gtx 760.I also have 600w PSU but when I start playing watch dogs after an hour i smell something burning like plastic or something. I sniffed it out I think it's coming from the back of my cabinet probably from the PSU. It's only a slight burning smell the game is working fine and pc is not crashing or shows any kind of problems which is psu related and my psu is brand new about 2 months and has warranty of 3 years. So I have the iball PSU and not the other PSUs like corsair, coolermaster etc. because it is the only PSU which sells in our market. so what may have causing the problem ??

I am not overclocking my GPU or anything my GPU's idle temp is 35 and load is max 72

Solution
Ok. It would be better to power off the system. Take it to that computer repair shop and tell them or better show them the problem and let them help you. This is the safest way to resolve the problem. Don't take any chances with it any further. Please do share their findings here as well.

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

no there was no plastic sheet on my GPU and I am testing my case now and no there is no current showing.
actually the problem was not there two days ago. It started tomorrow only .

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

man i don't know how to take out my GPU, I can't fit the component myself i took them to a computer repairing shop for fitting. And for PSU fan Its working properly.It has a big fan and its blowing air out from the back wait I'll send a link to my PSU. U check it and tell me.
http://www.iball.co.in/Product/Sprinter---600/65
and the smell only coming when I am playing watchdogs when I quit the game the smell gone too..

Ok. It would be better to power off the system. Take it to that computer repair shop and tell them or better show them the problem and let them help you. This is the safest way to resolve the problem. Don't take any chances with it any further. Please do share their findings here as well.

Solution

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

I called them yesterday they said is there any PSU related problems occurring like pc shutting down or other things and how old is my PSU or is it covered in warranty I said to them that there is no PSU related problems are showing no pc turning of and my PSU is 2 months old and my warranty is for 3 yrs only slight burning smell when playing games. They said If there is no problem showing then its ok and If anything will happen then it is covered in warranty so it will be replaced.

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I need to ask you something my cabinet has 4 fans support so I am using only 2 of them and the fan are very small. How many more I can use inside my cabinet If my PSU is 600W ?

the amount of power fans take up is negligible. even 5 or 6 total fans isnt going to be a problem (at all)

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

do you know any software which is calculate my overall wattage I mean a software to auto detect how much power I am actually using from 600 w and how much is remaining ?

salilskp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

yes I will. Thanks for the help.