Question Burning smell from 3060

dalegdawg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
I just recently bought an RTX 3060 (specifically an Asus 3060 12GB Phoenix V2) and it's working fine.

However, I've noticed recently when playing games that can be taxing (e.g. Control with ray tracing set to high), I've noticed a burning smell coming from the GPU (usually when it hits around 70 degrees celcius). It still works fine and the smell goes away when the card cools down to around 65 degrees celcius (usually because I set the gpu fan to run at 100% or turn off ray tracing) but I'm just worried that if I play taxing games, it might break the card.

Anyone got any insight into this?

Do not play on your GPU and get in touch with the store you bought it from and get refunded if the store cant take it back them RMA It!. GPU can run hot that why always put fan speed up in MSI afterburner so it dose not get really hot. Anything above 80 is hot and cardx normaly protects itself when it hits 100. and Card dose not normaly give out smells not unless something is burning in the card!. Double check your computer to make sure that it is the GPU and not PSU or anything eles. Also What your PSU make and brand and power?

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

InvalidError

Titan
Most electronics will emit smells for the first several hours of at-load operation as the various solvents and volatile compounds left over from manufacturing get baked off.

Stress-test the GPU in a well-ventilated area for 5-10 hours, then check if the smell persists. It should be mostly gone.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
I just recently bought an RTX 3060 (specifically an Asus 3060 12GB Phoenix V2) and it's working fine.

However, I've noticed recently when playing games that can be taxing (e.g. Control with ray tracing set to high), I've noticed a burning smell coming from the GPU (usually when it hits around 70 degrees celcius). It still works fine and the smell goes away when the card cools down to around 65 degrees celcius (usually because I set the gpu fan to run at 100% or turn off ray tracing) but I'm just worried that if I play taxing games, it might break the card.

Anyone got any insight into this?
Is it a fairly faint smell? I had this with my Nvidia 3080, a little concerning but I read about the solvents stuff that @InvalidError mentions and stuck with it. It actually went away in the end and doesn't do it anymore.

dalegdawg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
Is it a fairly faint smell? I had this with my Nvidia 3080, a little concerning but I read about the solvents stuff that @InvalidError mentions and stuck with it. It actually went away in the end and doesn't do it anymore.

I've nothing to really compare it to so couldn't really say if it was faint or not. I could clearly smell something burning while I was sat in my chair and my computer is on the floor next to my feet though if that's any indication.