Burning smell help please

Jun 9, 2018
So i recently bought a MSI z370 A pro, corsair vengeance LPX 2x8gb, intel core i5 8500, seasonic 620W M12 and when i installed it onto my case with SSD and HDD installed. Upon turning on the pc, i can smell and see smoke coming from the HDD and SSD, may i know what has happened? And when i have my blu ray driver installed and connected to the PSU, my computer boot loops.

Solution

For sure regarding the cables....and probably almost for sure regarding the ssd and hdd I would think.
That is just so weird.

When it posts with the HDD and SDD....I would be putting a voltmeter on the PSU 12V and 5V terminals to see what they are....and I wouldn't leave it on long when I did this.

....as I said.....the only thing I can think of that would cause two drives to smoke is high voltage.

First off. Stop trying to turn on the computer until you have isolated the problem.

My guess would be a wiring issue.
- Did you use any power cables or adapters not included with the PSU? (SATA strand from another PSU, Molex to SATA adapters, third party SATA strand, extensions, &c)
- Did you somehow force the SATA power strip into the PSU upside down?

I would say buy a mult-meter and test the voltages are correct in each line. You can find guides online for the correct voltages on each pin on the different connectors. You can also buy a PSU tester to simplify the process.

Contact Seasonic support. If you didn't mess up the wiring. My guess is they'll want to get their hands on the PSU for testing.

I think this (from velocityg4)

"Did you use any power cables or adapters not included with the PSU? (SATA strand from another PSU, Molex to SATA adapters, third party SATA strand, extensions, &c)"

is a real possibility. Perhaps you are sending +12 where you should be sending +5.

I think this is MORE of a possibility that the Seasonic being screwed up.

If you are sure nothing is wrong with the wiring on your end and the PSU is new. I'd contact Seasonic support or customer relations. While being polite I'd work my way through the chain until they reimbursed me for the damaged components. Perhaps start Tweeting them and posting complaints on their Facebook page if there is no luck talking to them directly. Just never be directly libelous. It is your opinion the PSU caused damage not fact.

Although I don't think it would be necessary to go as far as going public. You'd be amazed at the results you get if you are polite, non-confrontational, focus on your feeling about the matter, don't blame the employee in any way, while working through the chain by phone. Low level reps can't help you but they can send you to people who can. People such as customer relations and managers. Always take notes of what is said, names, phone numbers and confirmation numbers.

Yes....there could be. Some cables are proprietary and specific to certain PSUs and by using those cables you may have sent the wrong voltage to the wrong terminal.

Stop using those immediately and use the right ones.

Most likely it is too late for them. When it comes to modular power supplies there is no set standard for the pinout on the PSU. While another modular cable may fit. There is a decent chance it will be the incorrect configuration. Sending the wrong voltages or polarity to the standardized SATA, Molix, PCIe, &c ends.

The only time you can mix cables between PSU manufacturers is if you know what you are doing. Meaning you know how to test voltages. What the correct voltages should be for each connector. How to rewire the connector.