Question Burnt CPU?

Aug 11, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have a new MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/Ryzen 7 5800x that I am trying to use for a new build. I set up just the motherboard/CPU/CPU Cooler/RAM/GPU to test. The system will not boot into BIOS. I ensured everything was seated correctly multiple times. I eventually took everything apart to start from scratch. The first thing I did was to look at the the CPU to make sure there were no bent pins (there are not). But, to my shock I saw the discoloration below. I took a picture, enlarged it, and it looks like a burn spot on the CPU. When the motherboard goes through its check, the CPU, RAM, VGA lights all flash but then move on until only the BOOT light is lit (which is what I would expect with no storage media or OS installed).

I have built quite a few systems in the past and definitely had the cooler set up correctly to dissipate the heat. Is this CPU done?

kbXLLiK.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
Hey. It looks bad at first sight. Might as well try the CPU on another motherboard, though this has little chances.

Did you check whether it was like that when you opened the CPU box?

Aug 11, 2022
Hey. It looks bad at first sight. Might as well try the CPU on another motherboard, though this has little chances.

Did you check whether it was like that when you opened the CPU box?
Hi, and thank you for the reply. I checked and did notice it but really gave it little thought a the time. I did try it in another motherboard with the exact same results. I kept thinking it was the motherboard or possibly my GPU until i saw this.

There is definitely a defect spot where there should be none.
I would return the processor.

Pins are used to control various aspects of the motherboard.
It is possible that if your processor seems to work ok that the spot is for a non essential/unused capability.
An example might be the 3/4 ram slots that are not used now, but might be in the future.
But failure to get into the bios is evidence of a serious defect.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilias4681
Aug 4, 2022
If that was already there, then it's not you that caused that. So if it's a brand new cpu it's highly unlikely that it's your fault.

Try and contact your cpu supplier, as well said.

Aug 11, 2022
There is definitely a defect spot where there should be none.
I would return the processor.

Pins are used to control various aspects of the motherboard.
It is possible that since your processor seems to work ok that the spot is for a non essential/unused capability.
An example might be the 3/4 ram slots that are not used now, but might be in the future.
Hi. Even though the CPU error light does not stay on, could this be the reason the computer does not boot into BIOS? Motherboard, CPU, and RAM are all new. The GPU last week was working fine. I was playing DOOM with no issues.