Question Burnt GPU fan header?

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Hello
So basically I was playing with the fan cable connecting my custom GPU fan (Arctic Accelero) to my actual GPU (1660TI), and I accidentally connected the wrong cable into the 1660 ti itself
There was some smoke, bad metallic smell, i turned everything off and later back on again
everything seemed to be working fine and the temps on my gpu are fine but the GPU FANS are compeltely disabled and are not working,

what to do ?

mBQMzXr.jpg

YGatz46.jpg

I do not know how those pins are setup, but if you smelled burning, and now the fans wont turn on when re-installed correctly, I would assume you burnt out the fan motors. You would have to look at a replacement fan set for your card, if you want to do it properly. You can also just zip tie a good case fan to the outside of the card, after removing the dead fans, in order to gain cooling fans again. They would need manual control though, because they would not use the GPU itself if plugged into a case fan header. You mention that the temps were still good, while the fans werent working? I assume this was at idle only, and that if a load is added the card goes into overheat protection or crashes very quickly?

Reactions: buckshot187
There are 2 possibilities..

1. Burned Fans..
Since you plugged your fan in opposite direction.. it is possible.. that Halleffect sensor got direct short.. and burned due to reverse high current..

Solution :- Buy new fans and enjoy...

2. Burned FAN Driver MOSFETs on GPU board ..
Some fans are protected with Reverse Diode to prevent Induced current from destroying Driver mosfet... If you plugged in reverse.. this diode in fan acts as low resistance path for current to flow . That makes MOSFETs to get burn open circuit...

Solution :- Get your GPU fixed in repair shop...
Or more easy solution.. remove your Fans.. and install Same sized (60/70mm/80mm) 12v BLDC case fans... And power them Directly from a fan hub... Cheap and easy. Diy solution..

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
I do not know how those pins are setup, but if you smelled burning, and now the fans wont turn on when re-installed correctly, I would assume you burnt out the fan motors. You would have to look at a replacement fan set for your card, if you want to do it properly. You can also just zip tie a good case fan to the outside of the card, after removing the dead fans, in order to gain cooling fans again. They would need manual control though, because they would not use the GPU itself if plugged into a case fan header. You mention that the temps were still good, while the fans werent working? I assume this was at idle only, and that if a load is added the card goes into overheat protection or crashes very quickly?
Temps reach 60C with a medium load game in the backround - and 50c with chrome so I can bare it, but AAA titles are a no go I'd assume lol.

There are 2 possibilities..

1. Burned Fans..
Since you plugged your fan in opposite direction.. it is possible.. that Halleffect sensor got direct short.. and burned due to reverse high current..

Solution :- Buy new fans and enjoy...

2. Burned FAN Driver MOSFETs on GPU board ..
Some fans are protected with Reverse Diode to prevent Induced current from destroying Driver mosfet... If you plugged in reverse.. this diode in fan acts as low resistance path for current to flow . That makes MOSFETs to get burn open circuit...

Solution :- Get your GPU fixed in repair shop...
Or more easy solution.. remove your Fans.. and install Same sized (60/70mm/80mm) 12v BLDC case fans... And power them Directly from a fan hub... Cheap and easy. Diy solution..
Think it's what I'll do, I have a spare Noctua fan but where shall I connect it? To the motherboard where the GPU fan (CHA2) is connected to?
Or check if the connection on the GPU board isn't dead and connect it straight to the board?

Last edited:
You can try wiring it into the GPU like is is supposed to be normally, as long as they have the same wiring setup. I do not know if that is the case or not. If you plug it into a chassis fan slot on the main motherboard, then make sure you go into the motherboard settings, and set a manual control of that fan, so it will run at high/full speed in order to keep the GPU cool, because using the case or CPU temps can mean the GPU has a lack of cooling when needed sometimes.

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
You can try wiring it into the GPU like is is supposed to be normally, as long as they have the same wiring setup. I do not know if that is the case or not. If you plug it into a chassis fan slot on the main motherboard, then make sure you go into the motherboard settings, and set a manual control of that fan, so it will run at high/full speed in order to keep the GPU cool, because using the case or CPU temps can mean the GPU has a lack of cooling when needed sometimes.
Got you

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
How can I check if the fan connection on the GPU board is working? Can I just connect any fan with a 4pin to this? No trouble?

As I said above, I do not know how the fan is setup on the GPU. There might be labels on the motherboard stating the voltage, check that against the pinout for the fan itself to make sure it is setup the same. I dont know what wrong cable you plugged in to cause the issue in the first place either, but it was obviously setup differently.

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
As I said above, I do not know how the fan is setup on the GPU. There might be labels on the motherboard stating the voltage, check that against the pinout for the fan itself to make sure it is setup the same. I dont know what wrong cable you plugged in to cause the issue in the first place either, but it was obviously setup differently.
Can I use a multimeter on the fan connector pins on the board?

You can use a multimeter to read the voltage from each pin, but it would be better if you can find a wiring diagram for that plug instead, to be sure.
You can install case fans on the GPU as a makeshift cooler, and plug them into the motherboard. Make sure the fans blow onto the GPU, not away from it. You should not need a fan controller unless you run out of fan headers.

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
You can use a multimeter to read the voltage from each pin, but it would be better if you can find a wiring diagram for that plug instead, to be sure.
You can install case fans on the GPU as a makeshift cooler, and plug them into the motherboard. Make sure the fans blow onto the GPU, not away from it. You should not need a fan controller unless you run out of fan headers.

OK,
so I've got replacement fans from Arctic and I've installed them, I have an issue - the fans are running on 100% speed after the windows logo.
One time they've activated randomly after a minute or two on startup.
Any idea on what's the issue ? Do you think the fan controller is burnt out? The fans spin much quieter on BIOS