[SOLVED] Burnt smell

Oct 30, 2019
I happened to bought a new cooling fan for my pc which had only 1 fan. I installed the new one and connected it to the same psu connector. Once I turned it on, a burnt smell caught my attention and I immediately pulled the plug. I didn't knew where the odor came. I removed the old fan and only used the new fan. The pc starts without any problem and the odor was gone. I want to know if I've done any permanent damage and what caused the burnt smell.

Disclaimer: I'm new to this kind of stuff so please bear with me

Solution
I think what he did was plugged both the molex and the 4 pin conection on the new fan , rather than just plugging the molec into the existing fan which was already connected to the board with a 4 pin connection as well.. wo it made a loop, because the 2 fans were both connected to a power source as well as together (threw the Molex) .. or at least that's what it sounded like

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Burnt plastic?
Burnt electrical?
Burnt 'other'?
Can you be more specific of what the smell is?

Without knowing this, it is difficult to assist, but since it occurred with the installation of the new fan, it would seem plausible that the new fan is to blame.

Did the fan continue to work, or did it stop soon after startup?

What type of plug was used for the connection? PWM? Molex? Other?

Reactions: Slaine..
Oct 30, 2019
I cant really identify if its a plastic or electrical because I quickly turned the pc off. Yeah the new fan works fine. The connection is 3 pin and 4 pin molex

Oct 30, 2019
I think the new fan is not at fault. I tried installing it and it worked fine. The problem occurred when I combined the new and the old fan. I connected both on a single psu connector. Both are 12v. The old fan had 4 pins btw

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
you didnt accidently plug them both into a power supply did you ? I know it seems a silly question but ive seen it happen when a fan has 2 plugs (sometimes people think both need to be in use).. did you just try connecting the Molex to the Molex on the other then the other with 3 pin to board?

Oct 30, 2019
you didnt accidently plug them both into a power supply did you ? I know it seems a silly question but ive seen it happen when a fan has 2 plugs (sometimes people think both need to be in use).. did you just try connecting the Molex to the Molex on the other then the other with 3 pin to board?
Exactly! Haha so is it bad? The pc is working juat fine. I'm worried that I've may have caused some permanent damage.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I think the new fan is not at fault. I tried installing it and it worked fine. The problem occurred when I combined the new and the old fan. I connected both on a single psu connector. Both are 12v. The old fan had 4 pins btw

if they are connected correct, say old fan to board by 4 pin, wich leaves its Molex connection available,, and the new fan connected to just the Molex of the old fan, it should work.. maybe make sure connection is secure so its not arcing ? personally on my PC every connection I have Ive also taped with electrical tape. but I'm sure there is no need for that.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
when ive seen it done, they more or less fried the fan hubs ability to use speed control, the hub still worked, but the fan would stay full out.. pc still worked fine no issues at all, besides the system fan would be on 100% all the time.. but I think they got lucky too cuz like you,, they pulled it fast

Oct 30, 2019
when ive seen it done, they more or less fried the fan hubs ability to use speed control, the hub still worked, but the fan would stay full out.. pc still worked fine no issues at all, besides the system fan would be on 100% all the time.. but I think they got lucky too cuz like you,, they pulled it fast
I don't really care much about the fans haha they can run at 100 anytime😂 I was just worried that I may have damaged the psu😥 Thanks for the time 😀

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
just remember with most PC stuff.. its all in a chain.. so 1 connection to a power source, then other devices connect into that first one, in a chain .. and dont exceed too many on one chain, fans Id say no more than 4 per chain.. maybe less if there RGB =)

Oct 30, 2019
just remember with most PC stuff.. its all in a chain.. so 1 connection to a power source, then other devices connect into that first one, in a chain .. and dont exceed too many on one chain, fans Id say no more than 4 per chain.. maybe less if there RGB =)
Noted :) Thanks for the help😉

Oct 30, 2019
well I think yu got lucky .. I mean I cant say 100% mind you.. but if it were me, well id be like hey it still seenms to work ok, all good, .. lesson learned.. =) I bet you know how to install a fan now =P hehehe
Im new also. Would you mind explaining what happend? Im really confuse. Im also planning to add a new chassis fan

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I think what he did was plugged both the molex and the 4 pin conection on the new fan , rather than just plugging the molec into the existing fan which was already connected to the board with a 4 pin connection as well.. wo it made a loop, because the 2 fans were both connected to a power source as well as together (threw the Molex) .. or at least that's what it sounded like

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
adding fans you only connect 1 to a power source.. the rest connect to that fan threw its molex , so fan 1 connects to motherboard threw 3 or 4 pin.. leaving its molex accessable. fan 2 plugs into the Molex of fan 1.. fan 3 plugs into molex of fan 2 and so on.. do not exceed 4 fans .. as the header can only handle so many amps and each fan will use so much

Aug 14, 2019
www.elinfor.com
I happened to bought a new cooling fan for my pc which had only 1 fan. I installed the new one and connected it to the same psu connector. Once I turned it on, a burnt smell caught my attention and I immediately pulled the plug. I didn't knew where the odor came. I removed the old fan and only used the new fan. The pc starts without any problem and the odor was gone. I want to know if I've done any permanent damage and what caused the burnt smell.
Disclaimer: I'm new to this kind of stuff so please bear with me