Business Warming Up to Windows 7, Cooling on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Policy here: Lets be cautious with rolling our Windows 7, and hold on to XP, because having technicians chasing after viruses and wiping and reinstalling XP (due to poor security in XP) is a better use of IT resources than upgrading to Windows 7. I'd say a significant amount of work orders lately are related to having to rebuild XP machines killed by viruses and other security holes, which Windows 7 would be immune to.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]Policy here: Lets be cautious with rolling our Windows 7, and hold on to XP, because having technicians chasing after viruses and wiping and reinstalling XP (due to poor security in XP) is a better use of IT resources than upgrading to Windows 7. I'd say a significant amount of work orders lately are related to having to rebuild XP machines killed by viruses and other security holes, which Windows 7 would be immune to.[/citation]

And, most of the computers here have at least 2GB of ram, and at least a 3GHz Pentium 4.

Other IT policy here, give all XP users admin rights. I don't understand why we aren't researching and testing Windows 7 Professional with limited accounts. When you have a huge organization and a tiny staff, you would think efficiency would be key. Until people let go of their fears of new things, begin to investigate and explore how they will improve the current situation, most of our IT staff will be devoted to chasing viruses, exploits, and malware that would not be an issue anymore if we do a proper deployment of Windows 7. Heck we got the hardware and resources, and already wasting an ungodly amount of time rebuilding downed XP machines (and techs hunting down drivers for hours).

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Well I would think it would be more problematic to use a OS on your entire network that isn't supported anymore.[/citation]

Last I heard, XP was supported until 2014.

On a different not, we're pushing to deploy Windows 7 in a portion of our machines, but some custom apps may not run on it, so we'll be searching for solutions.

I agree with most computers meeting and exceeding the requirements, so that is a much smaller issue for us as well.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]And, most of the computers here have at least 2GB of ram, and at least a 3GHz Pentium 4. Other IT policy here, give all XP users admin rights. I don't understand why we aren't researching and testing Windows 7 Professional with limited accounts. When you have a huge organization and a tiny staff, you would think efficiency would be key. Until people let go of their fears of new things, begin to investigate and explore how they will improve the current situation, most of our IT staff will be devoted to chasing viruses, exploits, and malware that would not be an issue anymore if we do a proper deployment of Windows 7. Heck we got the hardware and resources, and already wasting an ungodly amount of time rebuilding downed XP machines (and techs hunting down drivers for hours).[/citation]

Fire the guy who gave everybody admin rights. Now.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@godwhomismike : IF you have a huge organization, you don't chase down drivers : you have an image ready to be installed to your computer as soon as it's back up.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]@godwhomismike : IF you have a huge organization, you don't chase down drivers : you have an image ready to be installed to your computer as soon as it's back up.[/citation]

Kinda what I was thinking. And most respectable organizations dont have some huge assortment of random brands and makes of computers. We have roughly 1,700 computers, and across those computers, maybe..... 12 different models total. And for those 12, we have ghost images we shoot to them, run windows updates, and update various software with patches and bam, you're back in the game. You can have one back up within about an hour with a fresh image. It's nice.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Kinda what I was thinking. And most respectable organizations dont have some huge assortment of random brands and makes of computers. We have roughly 1,700 computers, and across those computers, maybe..... 12 different models total. And for those 12, we have ghost images we shoot to them, run windows updates, and update various software with patches and bam, you're back in the game. You can have one back up within about an hour with a fresh image. It's nice.[/citation]

We have at least 15 different models floating around here.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm in the US Military and we are just now upgrading to Vista. You would think our policy makers would use a little bit more of their brains and skip to Windows 7. :(

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
It's not that hard- my school does this too- make images and put them on the machine.

We put windows 7 once, used Lanfest- and then put XP again on them :p

dude88yl

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
windows 7 is lacking in some printer drivers from hp though. the only problems i've encountered from upgrading to 7.

[citation][nom]huron[/nom]Last I heard, XP was supported until 2014. On a different not, we're pushing to deploy Windows 7 in a portion of our machines, but some custom apps may not run on it, so we'll be searching for solutions.I agree with most computers meeting and exceeding the requirements, so that is a much smaller issue for us as well.[/citation]

The XP support comes until June of this year.

An I agree with you, some custom applications could not works on Win 7, but we still having the XP mode.

[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom] I'd say a significant amount of work orders lately are related to having to rebuild XP machines killed by viruses and other security holes, which Windows 7 would be immune to.[/citation]
Don't be so naive. Win 7 is NOT immune to security bugs.

At anyrate, XP is dead. I also do hope most/all businesses goes with x64.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]saint19[/nom]The XP support comes until June of this year.[/citation]
That's only for SP2, July 13th 2010
Everyone using SP2 is encouraged to upgrade to SP3
Support for XP has been extended until April 2014

An OS move is always hard, specially on big companies which usually rely on custom software that is not guaranteed to work on different platforms

Alas, I also have been through the problem where all users have admin rights, tried to change that while I was working on a local University and I almost got my head chopped by the IT manager, figures

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]That's only for SP2, July 13th 2010Everyone using SP2 is encouraged to upgrade to SP3Support for XP has been extended until April 2014An OS move is always hard, specially on big companies which usually rely on custom software that is not guaranteed to work on different platformsAlas, I also have been through the problem where all users have admin rights, tried to change that while I was working on a local University and I almost got my head chopped by the IT manager, figures[/citation]

In any SOX corporation you would get fired for even having the thought of letting everyone in the administrators group.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]About time. Finally we can see the death of IE6.[/citation]

Not until 2012 on our 15,000 PCs and laptops. Many internal web apps wont work on IE7 or IE8. You should realize that way too many Pentium 4 computers are still around. The higher management motto is and always will be: if it works don't fix it.

You need to have a minimum of dual cores with 4gb of RAM to deploy Win7x64 across the board.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I wonder if any OS will live as long as XP, I doubt it, but 7 is a serious candidate - it seems...

I think XP die-hards will keep it "alive" for many, many years more...

Status
Not open for further replies.