[SOLVED] Buy now or wait until CES ( 6 weeks away)

Nov 23, 2021
Looking to upgrade my 10 year old I5 2500K rig used mainly for development and some Blender. I have a RTX 2060 GPU
I have no intention of overclocking and have no timeline other than the desire to have a nice new system soon!

I was going to pull the trigger on a Rizen 5600 and then Alder Lake came out with rave reviews.

At this point I am leaning towards an I5 12600 or similar but MB's are expensive and hard to find.
CES is coming in just 6 weeks and I am wondering if there will be more choices and lower priced stock available at that time.

e.g. B series motherboards and non overclock chips at lower prices - perhaps even MB's with DDR4 AND DDR5 capability?

I can see myself waiting a few more weeks if there is a reason to do so.

Do you think that new CPU and MB releases during CES will come with actual stock we can buy or will availability be many more months down the road?

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Very unlikely to get boards with BOTH DDR4 and DDR5 support. The slots are not interchangeable and both memory types cannot be run simultaneously. They could have have 2 slots for DDR4, 2 for DDR5, but I doubt that will happen.

Its hard to say what will be released at CES, so nobody really can answer that.
Very unlikely to get boards with BOTH DDR4 and DDR5 support. The slots are not interchangeable and both memory types cannot be run simultaneously. They could have have 2 slots for DDR4, 2 for DDR5, but I doubt that will happen.

Its hard to say what will be released at CES, so nobody really can answer that.

Solution
Looking to upgrade my 10 year old I5 2500K rig used mainly for development and some Blender. I have a RTX 2060 GPU
I have no intention of overclocking and have no timeline other than the desire to have a nice new system soon!

I was going to pull the trigger on a Rizen 5600 and then Alder Lake came out with rave reviews.

At this point I am leaning towards an I5 12600 or similar but MB's are expensive and hard to find.
CES is coming in just 6 weeks and I am wondering if there will be more choices and lower priced stock available at that time.

e.g. B series motherboards and non overclock chips at lower prices - perhaps even MB's with DDR4 AND DDR5 capability?

I can see myself waiting a few more weeks if there is a reason to do so.

Do you think that new CPU and MB releases during CES will come with actual stock we can buy or will availability be many more months down the road?
I'd wait until the release of the B660 / H series boards and locked cpu's so you can see the reviews along with the pricing.

Reactions: larkspur

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Right now, the sensible choice would be to wait a few weeks till motherboard avalailability improves a bit.
As for chipsets no chipset other than Z690 has been announced. Chances are Intel may not even do the B/H , considering Adler Lake will have a relatively short life cycle considering Raptor Lake planned on LGA1700 at around same time next year.

As it is always the case with silicon, there's always something better on the horizon, the key is to pick whatever from what's available that is good value for the money and suits your particular user case.

Right Z690 boards start at around 240ish, very much in line with what new Intel Platform traditionally go for. IF you wait till january, which traditionally isn't a strong month for consumer grade PC hardware , you'll likely be able to score the very same board as low as 170 (no accident CES 2022 is on 5th-8th of Jan) .

DDR4 and DDR5 on same motherboard isn't happening, it's one or the other.
12600K isn't very memory bandwidth hungry, and performance difference between DDR5 and DDR4 is marginal. Certainly not worth the DDR5 price. More over PMIC chip shortages (power delivery chip which is part of every DDR5 module) will continue throughout 2022. You will not see cheap or readily available DDR5 anytime soon.