Buy prebuilt OC'd parts from Amazon or get them separately?

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Other than my GPU, my PC has become pretty old, I'm still running an overclocked i7 930 that's been hot (idle at 60c hot despite my best attempts to ventilate) since day 1. I was thinking I might as well go all out for an upgrade since this'll probably last me years, and I noticed one Amazon seller actually sells a bundle of the parts I'm after.

The link is here, it also includes the cooler and is roughly the same price as if you buy the parts separately. I've not looked at coolers but it's the motherboard and CPU I'm after, and the 5ghz looks like a nice overclock. On the other hand, they may have just done lazy overclocking and ramped up the voltage so it'll always run hot.

As to buying separately, I've rebuilt my PC a few times, though it came pre-overclocked and I've never actually removed the CPU from the mobo, so I'm still completely new to that. If all 8700k's could reach 5ghz then that's alright I guess, I'm just a bit worried that most can't, and by buying from this company you are guaranteeing one of the better quality ones.

What would you guys recommend doing?

Here's the stuff I'm after so you don't have to click the Amazon link (not looked into cooling yet):
CPU: i7 8700k
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z370-A
Ram: 32gb 3000mhz

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012

I removed the useless stuff at the end of the URL before pasting, but I think I did it with ctrl+x haha (fixed now). My budget is basically however much it costs without going crazy since this will last me years, I don't want to get a lesser part and have to upgrade again later.

Anyway, fixed the link, the amazon package is £870, individually I could potentially save up to £20 with the same parts according to PC Part Picker (for the record it's £750 without the cooling). I don't actually see any information on the warranty so I guess you may be right there.

srimasis

Distinguished

You are right on PCPartPicker there isn't much difference in the cost but still I don't recommend getting prebuilt. Also you can easily overclock your CPU nowadays since motherboard bios have become very user friendly. You may not reach 5 Ghz but there isn't much difference in performance between 4.8 and 5 Ghz.