buy the GA X58A-UD3R? or stick with dx58so?

isaac4643

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
as the title states should i buy a new mobo for my x5650, i can barely overclock this cpu due to the dx58so being a terrible board. i can aquire the board for around 74.76 USD i also have a i7 950 that OCed well with the dx58so so im thinking of putting that combination back and giving it to my lil sister. and using a ga-x58a and ocing the x5650 to around 3.8 or 4.0 (i do have a beefy cooler the scythe fuma) i would like a quick and detailed reply from you veterins if it is worth the upgrade because i can only get the x5650 to a stable 3.5 on dx58so.

thank you in advance

Solution
I use that board. I also used to have a i7-950 overclocked to 4.2Ghz on that board. I don't know what your OC was on the Dx58so, but you might be able to compare my OC to your, although the chip lotto may mean I had a better/worse i7-950. Anyway, on the X58-UD3R, I have my Xeon 5690 clocked to 4.5Ghz on all cores with hyper threading running at 1.42 volts.
Edit: My i7-950 Overclocked got a 7623 on the Physics Score.
25YkRan.png

Famasking

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I use that board. I also used to have a i7-950 overclocked to 4.2Ghz on that board. I don't know what your OC was on the Dx58so, but you might be able to compare my OC to your, although the chip lotto may mean I had a better/worse i7-950. Anyway, on the X58-UD3R, I have my Xeon 5690 clocked to 4.5Ghz on all cores with hyper threading running at 1.42 volts.
Edit: My i7-950 Overclocked got a 7623 on the Physics Score.
25YkRan.png

Solution

isaac4643

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
thank you, glad im not the only one with a getto set up i run a 1070 as well so its quite similar and a good reference, im glad i asked. one last thing, may i ask for your OC settings for future reference? ive only oced a h55 and the dx58so version of x58 (this board that has terrible UI so its pretty much all foreign)

Famasking

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I've never overclocked any other board, so for me, it seems pretty straight forward: (I'm doing this from memory, so names might be slightly off)
Mash "Delete" button when powering on.
Top selection is what you want. MB Intelligent Tweaker
Second Entry: Advanced CPU Adjustment
Adjust multiplier to highest available (It will tell you, for example my 950 had a x23 multiplier, but my X5690 has a x25)
Move down a bit and adjust the back clock to something reasonable to start (This will control the total CPU frequency. For example: my 950 ran at 173, but my x5690 is set to 180)
Then you need to tune the memory frequency (in the same screen, not the memory settings in the previous menu). Adjust the Memory multiplier to something close to what your memory is set to run at. I have 1333Mhz Corsair memory, But with the 8.0 speed multiplier, I'm running 1440Mhz. If I raise the CPU BCLK, I have to dial the memory down to 6.0 multiplier. Basically, your memory can't go past it's own recommended speed by large amounts.
Lastly, Back up one menu to the Voltage settings. Raise the voltage a bit. For my 950, I ran at 1.37v. But because of the size of my x5690, Even 1.4v caused the CPU to "starve" when running benchmarks. It ran just fine until all cores needed max Freq and then it (didn't crash) just plummeted my FPS. My firestrike on this setup, without the current voltage, would get 14k, with my CPU falling to single digits on the Physics test.
Press F10, and type "Y" to save settings. As soon as it reboots and drops you in Windows, Open CPUz. Windows Task Manager incorrectly reports my computer as 3.37Ghz 4core. So I don't even use it. If CPUz reports stock settings, some part of your OC failed. Maybe Memory Speed, Maybe BCLK multiplier was too high. It will still boot with voltage too low, but your CPU tests will not be where you expect the score.

Ask me anything I didn't cover after using this. Good Choice, and Good Luck.

Famasking

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I should note, I use a NZXT Kraken x62. Your cooler mileage might vary, but for me, 70C or below is temp correct.

EDIT: WHoa! almost forgot, because it's been so long, but you're going to have to do a bit of research on X58, Something about the sleep steps in the Intel downclocking affect X58. It's been years since I changed them and I don't remember. If you can't get a good overclock, I'll go back into my BIOs and let you know what I have set.