Buyer Beware, Fake AMD CPUs May Be Selling On Amazon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... So I shipped back, they sent the correct part soon after. They also for some reason gave me back $400. When I told them they gave me the replacement and a refund, they thought something was wrong and gave me an additional $400 gift card. It took me a week to convince them to take my money and take back their gift card.

Wow... An honest consumer too. Give the company some credit for trying to make right the fault, even though they got that messed up to (in your favor no less) There are enough people out there that would have accepted the refund the first time around, and a few more that would have stopped at the extra money on top of it.

Shady people seem to come out of the woodwork, especially here in this day and age. They'll take advantage of what they can, make a quick sum of cash and disappear or get shut down: with legal charges or not.

That said, many systems with third party vendors have a rating system for them... not foolproof as positive feedback can be faked as easily as negative. (One reason I don't use Yelp! although they supposedly filter for them. Another is they tend to want money from those with many positives, and if they don't get it tend to filter out positives much harder and arbitrarily.) I know some sites like eBay try to prevent unwarranted/false bad feedback, but at the same time it makes it harder to give legit negative feedback.... <Sigh>

Buyer Beware! IS ALWAYS good advice to follow, Research the seller, the site, and take feedback with a grain of salt (but look for patterns too.)

As to common sense: There are those that are happy nobody has it and it seems to become not fashionable to encourage it. (If it was, some of the nonsense out there passed off as "common sense" would be proven otherwise.)

RamCity

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Amazon take this kind of thing very seriously. Even just the mere mention of the word 'fake' in a customer review can result in immediate take-down of the listings concerned and a full-on investigation by Amazon's Seller Performance team. Anyone who tries to sell fake product on Amazon is going to find their seller account will not last long enough to make it worth the investment of time and effort.

Justkeeplookin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Its what people without online stores use for marketing. Ebay and Amazon are like hit or miss. If you get a deal that deal was probably the best deal you can get. If you got ripped off bad luck. Atleast they have returns

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I sold a DVD-A disc on Amazon once. The buyer paid top dollar for it, then asked to return it a few days later. When I casually asked him what sound gear he had, he admitted to having a DVD-A player that would play copies of a DVD-A disc. When I called him out on it, he dropped his request to return it. Got to wonder how many times he did it to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.