Buyer has asked for my log in details

Sep 3, 2018
I sold a laptop which the buyer received on 8th August. I factory reset and checked it before sending and now today 3rd September the buyer says he cannot get into the laptop as it's locked to previous owner and he needs my log in details. I'm certainly not sending my log in but is this possible after a factory reset?

Solution

If the login info is only applicable to that laptop how is the password compromising his security? I am not asking anyone to offer anything that goes beyond that laptop hence the qualification " If you are using the same login for all your devices then there is a bigger problem at play.".

This is an OEM install so would the Windows media creation tool work?

USAFRet

Titan

After the 'factory reset', what account did you log in with, if any?
What OS is this?

Not if it's done right per the manufacturer's directions. Some just reset via Windows' reset feature with which they can choose to keep data or not.

Why not give him your log in details? If you are using the same login for all your devices then there is a bigger problem at play. Your login details need to be different for every device and website that needs a password. If I am selling one of my laptops I would not use a password and if I did I would have enclosed the login info with the laptop.You can make it so that the user doesn't need to enter the password at power on or after hibernate or sleep. In the end, I've no clue what you or the buyer did. I guess you will find out when/if they need or want to send it back. Ebay will certainly side with the consumer who says they can't access the laptop they bought. They may be looking for a way to circumvent a no-return policy.

USAFRet

Titan

I wouldn't. Not ever.

Instead, I'd recommend the new owner does his own factory reset, or wipe and reinstall.
Let him enter his details.

And the recipient of any used laptop or PC should do a full wipe and reinstall. I would never ever trust what the previous users did or did not do.

Sep 3, 2018
It runs on windows 10 and I never logged back in once reset. I have asked the buyer to send me a picture of the screen to see what it says when he tries to log in. Still awaiting a response from him.

Suggest that buyer boots from windows installation media and reinstalls windows.

But you should have checked, if it is possible to login into windows without entering password, before you sent your laptop away.

If the login info is only applicable to that laptop how is the password compromising his security? I am not asking anyone to offer anything that goes beyond that laptop hence the qualification " If you are using the same login for all your devices then there is a bigger problem at play.".

This is an OEM install so would the Windows media creation tool work?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on which "login" they're talking about.

And for the install, I can't see why a USB created with the MCT would not work.
It installs, the laptop talks to the mothership...activates.