buying a new cpu... help needed please

cardinhand

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
So I'm building a pc and so far have a motherboard (b85-hd3), 4gb ddr3 (potentially upgrading to 16gb/32gb), gtx 560 ti pny (possibly buying a second as the mobo supports crossfire), 80gb sata and a 60gb ssd. I'm not sure how much power I will need so I haven't purchased the psu or had much of a look into powering the machine and haven't much knowledge on cpu's or cooling them either. Would somebody help me out with suggestions to complete the system. I'm hoping to use it for gaming mostly and my budget isn't vast and its taken me a while to acquire the bits I have, (due to budgets and time) so I'm Itching to complete the mission ASAP thanks for any suggestions guys

Solution
The issue with what you're having is buying your parts in bits here and there, instead of saving up and then buy all your parts at once. Now there's newer and better parts and your basically spending twice as much to get it.
1. Motherboard, the motherboard you've already got (b85-hd3) supports CFX but only in X16/x4 instead of evenly at x8/x8. Also not all B85 supports OC, it depends on which board you get. Z87 and Z97 are the ones that officially supports OC. Then again the CPU you can get isn't a K so the board doesn't really matter which chipset it's running on.
2. Ram, because of your budget, I understand that is the most you can get, but maxing out to 32GB? Don't bother with that, all your doing it just wasting money...

Leemon

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
If you're mainly using your PC for gaming you don't need anymore than 8GB RAM so you can save some money there. That motherboard only supports CrossFireX and not SLI. Your 560 Ti is an Nvidia card which uses SLI so you wouldn't be able to use two cards with that motherboard. If you wanted to have two cards then you'd have to buy two AMD cards. Your motherboard supports all of the Haswell CPUs. If you can afford an i5 4670K or an i5 4690K then that would be the best CPU to buy for gaming. If you can't afford an i5 then an i3 would also be fine. As for the PSU, because you won't be able to use 2 cards then a good 500W PSU will be plenty. If you're overclocking then a good 600W will be perfect. If you need help on what PSU to buy let me know.

cardinhand

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
That's my overall budget for the psu, cpu and any cooling solutions as for overclocking I'm not sure really I don't know much about the procedure and wouldn't want to ruin my build

LoneRangerS

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

In that case, i'd get a i5-4690 & Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo if you want better cooling. That would be around £180

You will need some thermal compound if you don't already have some

Leemon

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
@LoneRangerS the PSU has to be in that budget too.

@cardinhand the only CPU you can afford if that is your budget on those three things then go for an i3 4130 and a Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W PSU. If you're not overclocking (which you can't overclock an i3 anyway) then the stock cooler that comes with the i3 will be fine. I'd highly recommend waiting til you can afford an i5, though.

LoneRangerS

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Ah, misread it. If it were me, i'd go with a EVGA 500W & i5-4460... Stock cooler would be fine

cardinhand

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I'm probably going to end up buying two new video cards over the next year as I did buy the mobo for duel card purposes though so would it not make sense to just buy a higher powered psu now and save myself the forty pounds and unwanted psu later as for the CPU and overclocking it how hard would it be and how likely is it to burn out my machine

Leemon

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

Ah yes, I forgot about that little gem. i5 4440 and an EVGA 500W or Corsair 600W would also be in his budget.

Leemon

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

I'd recommend not having 2 cards. 1 card always works better than multiple cards because of compatibility issues with games. Even some of the modern games don't have multi-GPU support. You'd be much better off buying 1 good card rather than two mediocre cards. If you have your heart set on two though, the PSU requirement would depend on what two cards you get.

As for overclocking, it's pretty simple and safe if you know what you're doing and have sufficient cooling. Overclocking is costly though because you need to buy the K versions of CPUs, a good cooler and a relatively high watt PSU.

drkatz42

Honorable

The GPU is recommended to have a 500w PSU. Perhaps look to a 650w to give yourself some room for future upgrades. The board does support crossfire but with your Nvidia card that isnt possible.(Nvidia is SLI tech)

PSU
FSP Group Raider S 650 650W $74.99
[strike]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104180[/strike]

XFX
P1-650X-XXB9 £62.98
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008O50WKG/?tag=pcp0f-21

cardinhand

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Ok thank you very much guys all of these answers have been very helpful and I'm very grateful for your help if I decided upon duel at some later point would I need to double the psu power to 1200w if they were both recommended at 500w or would that 600w be sufficient still?

Leemon

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

Like I said, it depends what two cards you get but 750W would be enough for 2 mid-range cards. High-end cards you're looking at 850W+

Don't forget to pick Best Answer so people know your question has been answered :)

cardinhand

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Ok guys once again, thank you all very much for your input. It has been very informative and has been a great help to me. I shall try and pick the most useful answer to me but no favouritism because you've all been very helpful and i appreciate it. :p One more question though which will save you folk a potentially unnecessary read later on in a month or two. If i plan to play fairly new releases which two amd video cards will be best suited to the budget of about £200?

drkatz42

Honorable

I would suggest you opt for a single card solution now, add the other card later for a future upgrade.
R9 280X is my suggestion in your price range.

lp231

Splendid
The issue with what you're having is buying your parts in bits here and there, instead of saving up and then buy all your parts at once. Now there's newer and better parts and your basically spending twice as much to get it.
1. Motherboard, the motherboard you've already got (b85-hd3) supports CFX but only in X16/x4 instead of evenly at x8/x8. Also not all B85 supports OC, it depends on which board you get. Z87 and Z97 are the ones that officially supports OC. Then again the CPU you can get isn't a K so the board doesn't really matter which chipset it's running on.
2. Ram, because of your budget, I understand that is the most you can get, but maxing out to 32GB? Don't bother with that, all your doing it just wasting money. 8GB is plenty for today's gaming PC. Get 16GB if you're planning to do some video editing or other similar type of work.
3. SSD and HDD: Yes almost everyone likes to have a SSD, but at 60GB that is not enough. OS + updates + drivers eats up about 25-30G, that leave about 30GB left for your other stuffs, games these days takes huge amount of space too. The requirements for WatchDogs needs 25GB! Now there's only 5GB of space left on that SSD and Windows starts to nag about no disk space...
Don't know about the 80GB that you got, could be a spare drive? If you got it for now, then you shouldn't have do was not get a SSD and combine the money from the SSD and the HDD to get yourself a large drive like a 500GB or 1TB and get a SSD later on
4. Graphic card: So with that GTX 560Ti, are you going to sell it? Why even bother with CFX when your board runs at a cripple setup at x16/x4 instead of x8/x8?
When was the graphic card bought? Right now or past couple of years? If it was a couple of years, then that card would have cost about the same as a current GTX760 or R9-270x and R9-280, which all of them performs a lot faster than that GTX560Ti.
5. Power Supply, because you have not got a power supply yet, the best you can do now is seriously save up and then buy a good one that can last longer for future setups. It's a waste to spand $50 on a PSU then change it and spend $150 on another. That means you spend $200 in total but waste $50 by basically throwing your money away.

Solution