Question Buying a new monitor, could someone please help me understand the jargons

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello everyone,

So, my monitor unceremoniously died yesterday for reasons unknown, so I'm planning on picking up a new one. The last time I bought a monitor I really didn't care about the specs, I only bought the cheapest basic monitor I could find that had a brand I'm familiar with. This time, I think I'm going to buy something nicer, but after browsing through listing and specs, I'm confused on what "colour space" actually means and how it affect my experience.

What exactly are sRGB and NTSC? Sorry if this is such a basic question and please correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I understand they kind of show the total amount of different colour the monitor can display. But why are there's two of them? I've seen two opposing sides after reading around, some of them say that NTSC and sRGB ratings are totally worthless, while other says that I should aim for xxx% of the rating for an acceptable experience. So, how much percent should I aim for?

Then, contrast ratio. I want a monitor with bright colour. It doesn't have to be accurate, I just want the image to "pop". Reading Tom's guides, it's said that I should focus my attention to high contrast ratio for the best picture quality. So, should I pick a monitor with high colour space or high contrast ratio?

Any explanation is appreciated, thank you

Reactions: nvidia_loyal

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
What is the best color space for monitor?

sRGB

sRGB is an RGB color space that was developed by Microsoft and HP for digital use. It's the most appropriate color space for computer screens and other digital devices, like tablets and smartphones.

Which is better 45% NTSC or 100% sRGB?

So 100% sRGB is obviously better than 45% NTSC, but your graphics card need to be able to output in that color gamut as well.

4K resolution is good for you since your looking for a quality
HD picture. That buying point makes your choice more expensive.

Monitors have power supplies that have capacitors over heat
and dry out and bulge. A buying point should be quality audio capacitors that have low impedance and capacitors with low ESR or effective serial resistance.

How about cracking your failed monitor open and take a look at the capacitors on the power supply. If your a true super user, you can solder in new capacitors and let us know how it works out.

What Is sRGB? A Basic Definition - Tom's Hardware
[url=https://www.tomshardware.com]https://www.tomshardware.com
› News

[/URL]

Last edited: