Buying a new monitor-Please explain the jargon!

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Hi,

My 17 inch monitor flickers at 1280 by 1024 resolution. I need a bigger monitor with bigger resolutions without the flickering. What are the facts and figures I should look out for (CRT monitor preferred).

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I've always had good luck with Sonys. A lot of people will say you're paying for the name...

Good monitors will have refresh rate of 80Hz or above. If you're into gaming, consider an apeture grill monitor - AG uses ovals instead of little squares (dot matrix). Text won't be as sharp, but graphics more often than not will be better.

I always recommend going with quality when it comes to monitors - it's the one thing you're never (almost never) gonna upgrade. It's the eyes to your computer. So spending a few extra bucks to get a top end 19" for 400 bucks is a wise choice.

Take a look at the Sony CPD-G420S or the CPD-G410R

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Thanks, but is it also a case of - the bigger the monitor, the bigger the resolution supported?
No, this is entirely not the case. It is almost entirely the case that you pay for what you get, i.e. the most expensive monitors have the better picture. What you need to find is a monitor that displays a picture you like at the resolution you are going to use, go and look at a few in the shop and decide what you prefer.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
1) Look for the recommended, not max, resolution you want.
2) Look for an acceptable refresh rates (at least 75hz) at the recommended resolution.
3)Aperature grill (trinitron, diamontron)- good color, brightness, flatness, generally better image, and two lines (maybe annoying to some)
4)Shadow mask - text sharpness, it's curvy or slightly so, it can be grainy, dimmer
5)dot pitch/grill pitch - ~something under 0.27 or so (most are these days). generally smaller is better, but not a always a reliabe figure in terms of actual image
6)Your eyes or reviews -- see neoseeker.com, displaymate.com, etc., do some searching.

sony, mitsubishi, nec, eizo, apple, tend to be very good but pricier.

viewsonic, iiyama, samsung, are popular, good and more affordable

top models, usually not in your local stores, but online or mail order

generally, you get what you pay for. inspect the monitor at home for defects, as variance within a model may be as great as variance among different brands/model

browse the posts here!

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
AG use vertical phosphor lines divided by filaments, not ovals. slotmasks uses rectangular phosphors. some shadow masks use isoceles phosphor triads, as opposed to the common equilateral. I think there are some oval phosphors too, though they're not classed as AG.

very good AG will have text comparably sharp as shadow masks from my experience.

I like mitsu's for good text and graphics, and sony's for graphics.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You may want to visit my research section on Monitorsdirect.com I have many papers, faq's and other tools to help you understand the jargon.

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/before/

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>