[SOLVED] Buying a prebuilt PC and taking out the GPU?

Daniel_525

Reputable
May 21, 2017
Hi all :)

I just bought a prebuilt HP Pavilion TG01-1453 with following specs:
RTX 3060 TI
Ryzen 7 4700G
16 GB RAM, 3200 MHz
1 TB NVMe M.2 SSD
500w PSU

My current custom built pc has:
GTX 1060 6gb
Ryzen 5 1600
16 GB RAM, 3200 MHz
120gb ssd
2TB HDD
600W PSU

I got two options:

1. Take the RTX 3060 out of the HP PC and put it in my current build, then and sell the HP PC with a GTX 1060 ?
  2. Sell my current custom build, and just use the HP as my gaming PC ?
I am not sure what is the best option, as i have heard very mixed opinions on the pre built HP Pavilion models regarding airflow, bad OEM parts etc.
Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the best option here?

Thank you :)

Solution
GPU prices are dropping, I suggest to just hold out longer instead.
If this downward trend continues, it will take a few more months until GPUs finally hit MSRP levels.
Vendors will hopefully end up competing with each other via price war (which is bloody), selling lower and lower until we finally reach MSRP or even better, below MSRP price.

Buying a prebuilt just for the GPU is like sending the wrong signal to vendors that the market is willing to sacrifice that much just for a GPU.
The market should correct itself for the consumers, not the other way around.

And for the cons mentioned above, I would agree. You might also have a hard time selling that HP Prebuilt without a GPU.

Daniel_525

Reputable
May 21, 2017
How about the RAM? i am not sure what type of RAM sticks is in the prebuilt, but i could switch them out for my current ones which are dual channel Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB.

How about the RAM? i am not sure what type of RAM sticks is in the prebuilt, but i could switch them out for my current ones which are dual channel Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB.
RAM is RAM, most of them uses similar die. Test with both, if they both work check which one has the lower latency(CL). If everything is same on both kits, then there will hardly be any difference.

Didn’t realize that. I hate that they build systems that way. I’m reminded why I do not care for hp systems usually because they make some of their stuff proprietary. In that case I’d almost be tempted to grab a standard style board, and see if you could swap the system into another case minus their board.

GPU prices are dropping, I suggest to just hold out longer instead.
If this downward trend continues, it will take a few more months until GPUs finally hit MSRP levels.
Vendors will hopefully end up competing with each other via price war (which is bloody), selling lower and lower until we finally reach MSRP or even better, below MSRP price.

Buying a prebuilt just for the GPU is like sending the wrong signal to vendors that the market is willing to sacrifice that much just for a GPU.
The market should correct itself for the consumers, not the other way around.

And for the cons mentioned above, I would agree. You might also have a hard time selling that HP Prebuilt without a GPU.

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Could put the 1060 in there.

This. The 1060 is a good card to hold you over while GPU prices stabilize at more realistic levels. I was using a 1050Ti, until today, when I realized I could make my 1080 fit in the case of my XPS 8940. I'll keep using the 1080, for now, until the Dell OEM 3070's drop to $400, before upgrading. We can only hope that more governments crack down on all the crypto farms, forcing the release of all those video cards onto the open market.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Hi all :)

I just bought a prebuilt HP Pavilion TG01-1453 with following specs:
RTX 3060 TI
Ryzen 7 4700G
16 GB RAM, 3200 MHz
1 TB NVMe M.2 SSD
500w PSU

My current custom built pc has:
GTX 1060 6gb
Ryzen 5 1600
16 GB RAM, 3200 MHz
120gb ssd
2TB HDD
600W PSU

I got two options:

1. Take the RTX 3060 out of the HP PC and put it in my current build, then and sell the HP PC with a GTX 1060 ?
  2. Sell my current custom build, and just use the HP as my gaming PC ?
I am not sure what is the best option, as i have heard very mixed opinions on the pre built HP Pavilion models regarding airflow, bad OEM parts etc.
Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the best option here?

Thank you :)
can you specify the psu and the memory?

TRENDING THREADS