Question Buying a system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
I like playing stuff like Battlefield 4 and V, Citie Skyline, Skyrim, Tropico 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Mount and Blade Bannerlord, Kingdom Come Deliverance. Stuff like that, FPS, RPG, RTS

I like playing stuff like Battlefield 4 and V, Citie Skyline, Skyrim, Tropico 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Mount and Blade Bannerlord, Kingdom Come Deliverance. Stuff like that, FPS, RPG, RTS
That PC will be able to play these titles in the 15-60+fps range depending on the settings you want in game. I would have to do more research for each specific game, but you would really be doing yourself a favor by saving up more and then getting a more modern PC.

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
I'm wanting to buy a desktop now that sorta meets my needs, but won't be deprerssing. And then buy like one part every month or so. Can you look for me some of those you listed in the past. I don't know which one would be good enough.

I'm wanting to buy a desktop now that sorta meets my needs, but won't be deprerssing. And then buy like one part every month or so. Can you look for me some of those you listed in the past. I don't know which one would be good enough.
The most recent PC you posted with a 1080 and a 8600k +32gb of RAM and a decent enough PSU is the only one posted in this thread that can pseudo play the games you listed. The thing about upgrading it would be getting a new CPU + motherboard + RAM all at once (you cannot upgrade one without the others) or the graphics card / PSU. A new case can be swapped into at any time as long as it fits the old parts and any planned upgrades in the future. Win11 requires TPM or fTPM to effectively work which means you would need a modern CPU + motherboard and the Windows 10 key on that used PC may not transfer to Windows 11 depending on if its an OEM key or a retail key. You could always just run Windows 11 without a key as well as the only thing you would be missing is desktop background and themes customization.

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
You still haven't given us any info about system, you're currently using.
Some of existing parts could be reused to lower total cost of new system.
Well I am useing a office pc. HP Compaq 8300 Elite Small Form Factor. I sold one of the parts off of ebay and I am currently waiting for the other part to be sold. This is why I didn't explain the desktop I am using, it's a crappy office computer. I use to have a Asus Rog Strix 17 but the motherboard shot out on me. It was pretty fast laptop and I am missing it lol. This is why I am trying to get a gaming desktop. But the one I am wanting doesnt have to play extremely fast but not extremly slow. The ones you gave to me are the ones I am looking for, but they sold out on ebay as you said. This is the first time trying to build a desktop, so I am trying to ask all the questions about them. You have answered a lot of them so I am grateful for that.