Buying A Used Genuine Win7

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013
Hi,

I have recently bought a computer off a friend and he put a 30 day trial on it. It has expired, and i want a genuine copy. If i bought a genuine copy off someone and he had already used it, can i use it on my computer?

Thanks

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

That depends. Does he still have it installed anywhere?

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

Not sure, i can ask him though, if he doesnt would it work?

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

It is a full retail version and he is asking £5 for ultimate and also he has another ad for home premium for £5. A bit worrying i think, i am waiting for my dad to arrive back home so he can text him.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
If he has 'used it' for trial purposes only and not registered it (used the key) then you MIGHT be able to use it and register it - but you will need to check this out BEFORE you part money (he should understand this!)

If, on the other hand, he as registered it on his PC then, he needs to phone Microsoft and tell them he wants to install it on another PC (yours, though don't tell them that!). If they allow this then they will probably give him another key and he will be required to uninstall the original install on his PC. You then need to install it on your PC with whatever key MS gave. ONLY THEN, once all is ok, should you part with your cash. Again, he should understand this.

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

Yeah, i know, but isnt there some way to bypass it.

USAFRet

Titan

Run away. Run fast. Those are not valid licenses.
Might even be a virused up torrent copy.

Do not do this.

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

Haha, understood.

USAFRet

Titan

No, that is not a valid disk or product key.
That is a Dell disk, to be "distributed with only with a new Dell PC". If you were able to see the rest of that label, that is what is printed on it. Yes, it really says that.

You are actually buying a broken/disabled Dell PC, and the associated OS that came with it.
From their description:
"To comply with eBay/Microsoft OEM software resale policies, the original Desktop PC Dell GX620 is included, PC tested to boot to BIOS (some may not have hard drive or memory), no warranty. Arrange collection"

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

Ahh, ok i see

^THIS - Also if you look at the DVD image included the disk is not an install disk it is a "Reinstallation DVD" so is designed to reinstall the OS if it is ever needed so the actual install has already been used to install on the original system and since it is an OEM license (DELL BRANDED) it is not transferable under MS's License agreement unless the original MOBO has died and is being replaced and as stated the original system is what you are actually buying per USAFRet's quote - so that MOBO still boots into BIOS and therefore does not qualify to be moved to another system - so the only way for it to be a legitimate install would be to arrange pick up of the original system as they mention and then use that MOBO for your new system as the OEM license is tied to that MOBO under MS's license agreement.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Not to burst your bubble, but Amazon resellers are not always legit. Not much different than eBay.
As always...if it is too cheap, it's too cheap for a reason.

Good luck.

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

Thanks, and it has lots of good reviews and its more expensive at £30 but going to give it a go.

USAFRet

Titan

30 quid? Sigh.....

jet399

Distinguished
May 31, 2013

I dont understand

USAFRet

Titan

To me, 30 quid raises a potential red flag. Why so cheap?