Buying another Video Editing and Gaming Rig.

Gelyfist

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
I have my current rig with:
CPU : AMD A8 6600k w/ stock cooler
MoBo : ASUS A58M-E with great instructions for WINDOWS XP
RAM : 4gbx2 HyperX Fury
PSU : Fortress 700 Watt PSU
Case : Fortress IDK whatdahell of a model this is, just old and no cutouts for cable management
GPU : Inno3D GTX 1050 Dual Fan

I hope you don't get lazy and skip all these stuff hehe. but if you will, I don't blame you, this IS long. I would probably do the same.

My problem is that my budget is about 300$ for another rig I can use for editing and gaming. I could upgrade to ddr4, but because of the super inflated RAM prices, and expensive CPUs like i5, Ryzen 5 (atleast for my budget) I don't know anymore what to buy.

But I did search a ddr4 system

First
I want to have great cable management, so I want to buy a case, which cost $38-$40, and for the price, quite good, tinted front and side panel, has a PSU shroud, good cutouts for cables, and even has a usb type - c front IO. I have some knowledge for a good case, and for $40, its a good case. And also a set of RGB Fans of 3 for around $25 - $30 with controllers and all that stuff. This is from a local company here in the Philippines.

The CPU, I plan to buy a Pentium G4600... I know it's a cheap CPU, but it's definitely a great upgrade from an A8 6600k. Plus it agrees with my budget. For around $65-$70, it can fit with my so called big-price-for-a-pc budget my father gave me.

For a MoBo, I chose the ASRock B250M Pro4, which cost about $75, 4* ddr4 DIMM slots, M.2 Slots, USB 3.0, and I think has a USB Type C Header.

Video Card is from my old rig, the GTX 1050 Dual Fan. And I have no problems with my GPU getting out of my current rig, the old rig will be connected to our TV for watching movies and sorting files rather than being another Gaming System.

I did pick a CPU Cooler, which is kind of optional, costs about $17. It's optional because I do not want to waste money on that because the CPU I picked is not that really high end, so the stock cooler can handle the heat. But I chose this cooler because for Aesthetics if my spelling is correct. I did watch Linus trying a CPU cooler this cheap, but it's from a local Computer Components Store, very trusted, so I trust them also.

As for the RAM, I settled on the cheapest 8GB DDR4 I can find in an online store within my country, G.skill 2400 8GB Value, costing $80 or so.

For the HDD, I picked the 1TB WD Caviar Blue, the 7200 RPM one if I'm right, and it costs around $40-$45.

For the optional SSD, don't judge me on this, but I picked a Hikvision M.2 128¿ GB, forgot the model, but that's it. Hikvision, as far as I know, is a company that is dedicated on CCTVs and that kind of stuff...

Now, I have a total of $323, excluding the SSD and CPU cooler, now I did say I only have $300 (or even less, like $288 because of currency exchange)
My father cannot give me money anymore, because he does not like having any more additions.

Please don't judge me for my budget, I did say that this is NOT my money, and I picked the parts according to the budget given to me, and I did some other researching for parts and could not find any better parts and prices. So please if anybody has any opinions and some recommendations, please answer, I really need answers to my ridiculous budget-oriented-editing-pc problem

Solution

The issue with all of this is the dangerously low quality psu you have there. It's not good and I would not recommend you using it for anything.

With your budget you are FAR better of going used and getting something like a i7 2600 or 3770 (or their xeon equivalent) dell mid towers from ebay for about 200$ and you are good to go. It's going to end up being better for the tasks and will cost you about 200-250$. Possibly even less since you can just get a model without much ram since you have some already.

Btw you don't need good cablemanagement as long as the cables aren't obstructing the airflow masively it's fine just leaving them hanging around.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If you want a "great PC for [video] editing" on a $300 budget, you would be better off looking for something like a used i7-4790(k) which would allow you to reuse your 2x4GB DDR3. Anything else decent is going to bust your budget or not be anywhere near 'great' for the intended task.

Gelyfist

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Yes, I did know that my PSU is a bit low quality, and I know that PSUs are one of the parts in a computer that does not really have the attention like any other parts. But for now, I'll still use that one because it held up. I know that my PSU is not rated like Platinum, Bronze, any kind of efficiency. I will buy a good PSU from Corsair, but until then, I have no much choice than to focus on the parts that have more attention to. I know it can fry my parts when it fails anf some other things, but I really don't have any choice but to stay with it.

Since I want more performance than Aesthetics, I could ditch my $40 Case because I hate looking at messy cable management. I'd rather go for a solid side panel XD

I could go to your said path, since parts in the Used Market is cheaper, obviously. I think I can search for some like your recommendation. Thank You

Gelyfist

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
ok, here is the problem, my father does not want any 2nd Hand parts unless we really have to. I did find some good CPU on Ebay, but with the shipping fee, I can forget the product and leave. $200 for an i7 3rd or 4th gen model, even with free shipping to the Philippines, I cannot waste that much % on my budget on a CPU. Can you please help me find a good deal for a CPU?

I'm talking about a whole used pc in my post. Dell has a lot of mid tower used ones with i7's and xeons in them for quite cheap. Just look on ebay dell i7 and make sure it's a mid tower (MT) and not an sff.