Question buying computer PC cases

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I haven't bought a case for about a decade so I forget how I decided to get this case, but it's really bulky, and my room for the PC is small... I am looking for a smaller case now but I probably don't want to upgrade any hardware, when choosing a case, what kind of things will I have to pay attention to to make sure that it will be compatible with my hardware and it's a good case for heat and ventilation issue?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Lutfij

Titan
You can start by giving us your current system's specs, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Based on that we could recommend a smaller form factor chassis or if you're up for it, a list of things to do to make your build smaller(if it's at all possible, that is).

Mentioning the size of your room would also help us two fold. The size of your desk will also help.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You might also consider if you still want to use a builtin DVD RW or Blueray drive, I know most people think they are absolute now, But if your are like me and still have a working one then you might want to look at an upgrade case or chassis that still have a space for such a device.

Then you could go all modern and such, do away with all the older drives such as optical drives and mechanical HDD's, might want to keep some space for SSD's, but you can now go way up to date and have only NVMe's only, probably the best space saving one can go now.

I still want to keep my optical drive running, thus I have never upgraded my case in god knows how long... seems also that even if you find a case or chassis with that slot, still most don't have enough drive bays for a combination of drives older and newer.

Well somebody here might be able to suggest something, just post your specs and requirements.

Last edited:

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
You can start by giving us your current system's specs, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Based on that we could recommend a smaller form factor chassis or if you're up for it, a list of things to do to make your build smaller(if it's at all possible, that is).

Mentioning the size of your room would also help us two fold. The size of your desk will also help.

Where can I find out the model of my motherboard? Bought a few years ago and I have forgot everything about it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Speccy by piriform.com will give you a mostly complete list. Cpu-z can also give some basics.

There's actually more than a few decent cases that'll fit an optical, decent airflow and smaller size, but that's all moot until we know what motherboard you have as that will determine exactly which form factor you are stuck with.

If you have mITX, that's tiny, can hook you up with a case the same size as a shoebox. If you have E-ATX, that's huge and very few mid towers have that capability. Motherboard makes a very big difference.