[SOLVED] Buying decision: PCIE 4.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deathsentry

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I'm currently looking at an OriginPC Millennium model but held off on the order because of Intel's lack of support for PCIE 4.0. The processor specified is i9900k but was wondering, if I do purchase this, do you think Intel will provide PCIE 4.0 support on this processor family or will it only provide it in the upcoming Rocket family? If so, any idea when it would be available? Am considering waiting if the feature won't be backward compatible on the I9. Thoughts? Thanks! (p.s. Looking at this being a combination of a gaming rig but may also try to do some graphic workstation-type activities later..am retiring in a year and wanted to get my last big rig out.. it's i9900k, 2080TI, 64GB ram, 1 TB NVMe, 8 TB Sata)

Solution
You raise a good point, I've been looking at AMD but was a little dissuaded based on gaming performance numbers and inability to overclock to 5.0ghz+ .. I guess in my mind I wanted a powerful rig that would last (seems like you achieved that with your i7!).. and you're right, i want it for the long haul, i won't have the money in retirement to keep replacing them every 3 years. Maybe I'll revisit AMD

This Ryzen build is my first with AMD since the Athlon days. If memory serves, Intel was still better for gaming at that time too but AMD was very affordable. I think the gap between AMD and Intel is even smaller now than it was back then.

AMD's don't require a manual overclock as the gains are minimal to none compared to...

InvalidError

Titan
Yes the cpu is capable but I’ve been referring to the motherboard specs. My original post stated the motherboards for x570 have some limitations as to how the lanes are assigned and the NVME performance.
As far as the TUF X570 is concerned, those "limitations" are not motherboard limitations. Do a search for every instance of "3.0" on the specs page, the only ones you get are related to CPU-fed PCIe lanes when using older CPUs. Every slot on that board supports 4.0 when a 3rd-gen or newer CPU is used.

deathsentry

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
What pcie 4.0 devices do you intend to use?

If you are looking at future graphics cards, there will be a benefit only with the very top end cards. Today, there is little difference in performance between pcie 2/3.
nvidia 3000 series graphics are due in the fall starting at the highest end. They will be expensive and scarce.
If you are buying a graphics card today, pick a EVGA unit, They have a 90 day upgrade option if something stronger becomes available.

For storage, I recently saw that samsung is supposed to launch a 980 pro version this fall.
It will certainly be a barnburner, but I expect a hefty price.

I think if I were to build a big rig, I would go with intel 10th gen i7-10700K which is cheaper and faster than 9900K.
Buy a good Z490 motherboard. Most vendors say that they are pcie 4.0 capable, likely with a bios update.

For now, look at a samsung 970 evo plus for a fast ssd.
Excellent advice...when I looked at the storage transfer rate differential it looked pretty substantial; it's been awhile since I've done any upgrades (my current machine is from 2010) and just found out yesterday about nVidia's imminent 3000 launch and that was only because I started looking at widescreens and differences between 1440 and 4k.. always seems to be something new on the horizon. Will definitely get a 490 mobo (been looking at the asus hero wifi)..but you're right, they will all be pricey (Samsung pro, nvidia 3000, intel rocketlake).. my i5, 6gb ram, nvidia geforce gt 520 are just not up to the task anymore :)

InvalidError

Titan
my i5, 6gb ram, nvidia geforce gt 520 are just not up to the task anymore :)
Yup, definitely looks like something ripe for replacement :D

I recently started messing around with Fusion 360 to get a feel of how much work is involved in designing stuff with it before deciding whether I want to buy an FDM printer and may have found the limit for my i5-3470 when using contact groups to sanity-check mechanisms.

USAFRet

Titan
Yup, definitely looks like something ripe for replacement :D

I recently started messing around with Fusion 360 to get a feel of how much work is involved in designing stuff with it before deciding whether I want to buy an FDM printer and may have found the limit for my i5-3470 when using contact groups to sanity-check mechanisms.
I'm starting to run into limits with my 4790k, and prepping the more complex models in Rhino3D for my printer.
My household tech refresh cycle is not until next year, though.