Buying memory - capacity question

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
I am not really a nube, but when I ask this question many will think I am. I have no pride - so someone please help. Planning for a new build, and selecting DDR4-2666 memory kit. I see a vendor with the same Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) for $164. If I buy two of these kits - to populate my MB's 4 RAM slots, it would cost me $328 and I would have 32GB, right? They sell also the same memory in a 32GB Kit (4x8GB) for $456. They also sell a 32GB Kit (2x16GB) for $425. What do these two expensive latter options get me that the buying 2 or the 16GB kits wouldn't give me? Thanks.

Generally speaking you are paying extra for a kit of 32gb that is guaranteed to work. Even though you purchase two 16gb kits they should work together, as they are the same make and model, however there is a very small chance it may not work. Additionally the fine print may state different "timmings & latency" that may be the cause in the price difference.

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks SgtScream. I figured it was probably something like that. Price difference I see here, though, is very, VERY large in my book. I think I would just take the gamble, buying at the same time from one vendor. (I've added memory in the past to self-built and properly operating desktops and also to laptop(s)...never having problems with memory timing, compatibility, whatever.) Again, thanks for the time to answer (and a quick reply!).