Buying nephew a graphics card.

Solution
I have verified that a GTX 950, or any of the 700 series cards, GTX 750, 750ti, 760, should work with that board as long at it has the newest bios that is available for that board installed. BIOS version should be 1406 released in 2009.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5NE_SLI/HelpDesk_Download/

Will probably work with most AMD 200 and 300 series cards as well. Support for Vega is spotty from what I can see on non-UEFI boards, but it seems a few people may have some luck.

I'd likely stick to an older card than the 10 series or Vega cards anyhow as the performance of that CPU will be a SERIOUS bottleneck to any modern gaming card. A 750ti, 760, 950 or any of the lower to mid tier AMD 200 and 300 series cards should be ok.
What is the rest of the system specs, especially the case and power supply?

What is your total budget and purpose for the upgrade(basic office use, web browsing, gaming?), because at those prices, those cards are not worth it. You could do much better buying a used, newer model and much more powerful card.

Yikes. In all probability any system running a GTS 8800 is not going to be compatible with any of the last two generations of graphics card, as they are UEFI only compatible. It will have to be something from the R9 300 series or older or Nvidia 700 series or older.

If he is wanting to game, none of those cards that are listed are going to offer a playable, acceptable, even low end experience. They are simply too weak unless he's playing VERY low demand games or internet games. Or has a very old, low resolution. Even then, it's unlikely.

Kurogano

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
It doesn't need to be 1080 60fps 720 30fps works just as fine since he is used to console.

CPU: Intel Core2 Extreme Q6850
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
HDD: Seagate ST3400832AS 400GB
HDD: Wl320gsa 854 320GB
RAM:4x2GB
System: powerspecVSB-U psX400
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P5N-E SLI

If nephew favors fast action games, then the graphics card is all important.
GTX1050 would be appropriate.
If he favors more cpu intensive games such as strategy, mmo or sims, then something like a GT1030 would be ok.

Either will work with the psu.
The strongest card I would consider would be a GTX1050ti that does not need aux 6 pin power.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
With the GT1030 you run the risk of getting scammed. Not all GT1030 are equal or even remotely close to being equal in performance. Especially avoid the GT1030 with DDR4:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1658-geforce-gt-1030-abomination/

I doubt any of those cards will run in that board. In fact, I'm almost certain of it. Unless I'm off my rocker they all require UEFI support which that board almost certainly doesn't have.

Your best bet is probably going to be a used card from the families I mentioned above.

With that PSU, I'd say a 750 or 750ti is probably your best bet. The newer cards might not work and will be more expensive. The PSU is a major limiting factor, so there isn't much from AMD that you could use from older generations. There are a bunch on ebay, but most are from China.

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

None of these are really gaming cards. They are great for HTPC's and some light gaming but that's about it.

I have verified that a GTX 950, or any of the 700 series cards, GTX 750, 750ti, 760, should work with that board as long at it has the newest bios that is available for that board installed. BIOS version should be 1406 released in 2009.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5NE_SLI/HelpDesk_Download/

Will probably work with most AMD 200 and 300 series cards as well. Support for Vega is spotty from what I can see on non-UEFI boards, but it seems a few people may have some luck.

I'd likely stick to an older card than the 10 series or Vega cards anyhow as the performance of that CPU will be a SERIOUS bottleneck to any modern gaming card. A 750ti, 760, 950 or any of the lower to mid tier AMD 200 and 300 series cards should be ok.

Solution

New news to me; good info.