dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello,
First of all I want to describe my PC which is as follows:
Q8300 @2,5ghz
4GB DDR2 800mhz
RADEON HD6770

And recently I've been searching for answers on buying cheapo' CPU like Celeron G1840 which showed pretty much the same results (winning in single core operations slightly and losing in multi core operations just a bit). Main point of moving to this CPU is of leaving old 775 socket in favour of newest generations of Haswell and 1150 socket. Main considerations is power usage, temperatures, and possibility to use more than 4GB DDR2 ram (preferably 8 or 16gigs of DDR3 because I do a lot of video editing and slightly less gaming).

I want to choose a cheapest CPU that will be as good/slightly better than my old quad core, because I will probably replace it with an i7 in a year or so.

No, I don't want AMD.
No, I won't buy i5 because it's terrible for future proofing in video editing - I'm looking for a cheapest temporary CPU that will have fairly simillar performance to q8300.

How simillar will G1840's performance in video editing, and last years' games (BF3, CSGO etc) be in comparison to quad core Q8300. I am mainly using programs like Adobe Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop, Sony Vegas and their performance on Q8300 - as for someone that has never had anything better than Q8300 - is pretty tolerable.

Pics:
QMLhPaL.jpg

cxGbnQ5.jpg

G1840 has better thermal design, lower temperatures, lower voltage (lower power consumption), works with cheapest memory on market (8GB DDR2 is double the price of 8GB DDR3 stick), and seems like it has the same performance, but the question is that how will those charts look having in mind video editing.

Cheers, it's late at night and my post may be a little chaotic, I will try to read and fix it in the morning.

dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
I wouldn't rather want to get G3258 because it's not worth the money, it's slightly more expensive and as I stated I'm looking for cheapest cpu (with simillar performance) available

Actually here in Poland it's twice as expensive, and that money that I wouldn't spent on G3258 I can put those into slightly better PSU, because what I'm looking for here now is to make my PC future proof (by buying LGA1150, and being able to place i7 later on), making it nearly dead silent (my PC sounds like a vacuum and when I'm editing videos I barely can focus, so buying slightly better/quieter PSU will be better than buying slightly better CPU).

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Better option would be just to buy a good CPU cooler than you can then transfer to the i7 system you plan to build later. Its a waste of money buying a celeron when you have a core2quad.

Grab something like the CM Hyper 212 evo and it will cool your cpu much better and make it much quieter. then use it on your i7 system in the future.

dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Riiiight, but by going into newer architecture I get cheap DDR3 so I can buy 8GB for dirt cheap, I get lower power-usage, I get lower temperatures, and I get better single-core performance for Photoshop and Lightroom and daily use.

What's up with thread asking for "cheapest temporary CPU" and I get recommendations for CPU cooler

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Because its not a clever move, I suggested the cooler because you complained about the noise of your current system - 99% of the time this can be fixed by using a more efficient cooler with a larger and quieter fan. You are essentially wasting money on a crappy celeron while you wait to afford an i7, not to mention you would already be upgrading to a out of date platform (current desktop platform is socket 1151 and uses DDR4).

You already discounted the suggestion of a pentium instead, so what do you want to hear?
"Ok buy the crappy celeron, its a good idea!"

Many people ask the wrong question because they are not thinking as well as those with more experience that can see a full picture, not just a side-ways move to no improvement. The answer you are getting is the correct one, just not the one you were looking for.

I would not touch your system till you can move to a faster CPU, buying a cheap CPU now with a new platform that is as fast as what you have now is a waste of money, you are paying twice for the CPU. Going side-ways instead of up in speed is silly.

If you want a good price/speed CPU, Intel i5-6500 at a bit over $200 is probably it for the new 1151 socket (not the 1150 you were looking at). You were talking about "future" yet already looking to buy a prior generation socket and slow CPU.

Keep in mind that you can sell your current system also, likely enough to pay for the full i5 CPU now.

dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Okay I had to rethink it and @RobCrezz has a good point. Most affordable and futureproof would be to upgrade PSU and CPU cooler. I'm gonna create a new thread to search for CPU coolers because I've already looked at them and can't find a good one. Evo 212 won't fit in my case tho, according to specs of my case maximum height of cooler is 155mm.

@hang-the-9 As I stated: i5 is crap. Spending 200$ to buy a decent CPU just so I will have to upgrade it to i7 later... It's price/performance in gaming is amazing but not for cpu-heavy tasks. Cheers.

Thanks

You have some pretty high standards then if the i5 is "crap" LOL I would not recommend the i7 for anyone aside from someone that has plenty of money to spend or someone doing the work professionally where the speed would be needed to earn more per hour. The i5 would be so much better than what you have now that scoffing at it because of an i7 is silly. It's like driving a 15 year old Ford and saying that a 2013 Toyota is crap because it's not a new BMW.

Getting a better CPU cooler for your current system won't help you much since you can't move it to a new system due to different mounting holes and brackets unless you really search for one that can be mounted on both motherboards with adapters.

dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
As I said, paying 200 bucks for 4C/4T CPU is stupid if you do heavy cpu tasks, and I will repeat myself but I see it's necessary - i5 is great price/performance in gaming but not in professional work, don't say that buying an i7 is silly because that's slowly becoming kinda pathetic lol.
Second thing if you ever looked at CPU coolers you would see that most of them are compatible with 775 and 11xx - I don't know where'd you get that info.

dixone

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

Actually that's a suprisingly interesting thing. From what I know Xeons can't be overclocked right? That would've been amazing because I don't intend on doing so. Does it require special parts? Like server motherboard? Because I would love it to run 100% stable.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

No overclocking, but will run on normal desktop hardware.