Question Buying new memory (SODIMM) or just expand?

Jul 23, 2019
Hello, I have a laptop (MSI GL62 6QD-440NL) using one DIMM of 8GB (part nr s7cs68b204h23). I want to upgrade this memory to 16GB and since there is one slot left I can buy one extra DIMM of 8GB.

My main question: is it wise to install just one more extra DIMM from another brand (thinkin of Kingston or Corsair) with same frequency (2133mhz)? Or is it better to order 2 DIMM's of the same brand?

I know this question is similar to https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/finding-more-laptop-ram.3175177/ but can't really find a specific answer for my question.

Searching for the part nr lead me trough this page: https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=MSI&Line=Notebook&Model=94630

Lutfij

Titan
Best you buy a (dual channel) kit that maxes out the capacity supported by your laptop's motherboard. That way you know that the sticks of ram are paired from the factory.

Where are you located, how much are you looking to spend and where would you like to purchase the kit from?

In the interim period, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop.

Jul 23, 2019
Hello Luthij, thank you for the reply!

So it's better practice to just replace the existing memory with 2 new dimms? That was also the step I was willing to take. I am living in Holland and I dont really care if I buy it here or somewhere else. I already spent quite some bucks on replacing my SSD to 1 TB and still looking for an extra M.2 SSD.

Why do you ask? You have some memory in store? Or perhaps an M.2?

Edit: I also just talked to my ICT guy and he said just to place one extra as long as the specs are the same. Dual channel would work just fine. A little confusing as you can imagine.

Jul 23, 2019
@Quanticriver I see you answered a similar topic:

Mixed brands/sets or even mhz speeds should not pose any problems

Dual channel only requires you to have at least two ram sticks - they don't necessarily have to match

It is true that the ram will only works as fast as the "slowest" ramstick you have
But you don't notice it outside of benchmarks
besides, having more ram is ALWAYS better then having "fast" but less ram

Try and match the speed and if possible the timings - but i wouldn't worry too much

tl;dr matched is best but it makes a tiny difference in performance

Thank you for bringing this under my attention!