buying RAM dual channel and quad channel question

FrancisMaglalang

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
since i am on a budget.
Is it okay if I buy one Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 at a time. then buy another one (same model and timing). will it still work as a dual channel. and if i bought another 2 in the future (same model and timing) will it work as quad channel? or no?

Solution
It is less than optimal. If you buy a matched set the manufacturer has tested the two pieces as a set and warranties them as a set. Mix and match on RAM, even the same model, has no guarantee of compatibility. You will see lots of threads on this board of people who attempted to do what you propose and failed.

Dual vs Quad channel is a function of your CPU. You can put 4 DIMMs on a motherboard, and only get dual channel because that is all the CPU supports.

kanewolf

Titan
It is less than optimal. If you buy a matched set the manufacturer has tested the two pieces as a set and warranties them as a set. Mix and match on RAM, even the same model, has no guarantee of compatibility. You will see lots of threads on this board of people who attempted to do what you propose and failed.

Dual vs Quad channel is a function of your CPU. You can put 4 DIMMs on a motherboard, and only get dual channel because that is all the CPU supports.

Solution