Question Buying the 3770 or it's K version on a h61 mobo and overclocking

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Quick question.
I want to buy a new cpu for my old Asrock h61m-vs mobo to squeeze out as much performance as I can till I can buy a full new pc. The cpu in question is the i7 3770. I have heard it's not possible to overclock it on an h61 motherboard and that the "K" version has a slightly bigger performance increase. Which one should I buy and is it possible to overclock on this s#itty mobo?

Hi, I don't know if you wana upgrade from a core i3, or a core i5, but no matter what the i7 3770 should bring new life to your system. And you wont like the price of the "K" version (it usually goes for the same as a new motherboard + cpu + RAM).

Will be great if you share with us what do you use the PC for, gaming, working, study ? What kind of issues do you have with your current CPU?

Cheers

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Hi, I don't know if you wana upgrade from a core i3, or a core i5, but no matter what the i7 3770 should bring new life to your system. And you wont like the price of the "K" version (it usually goes for the same as a new motherboard + cpu + RAM).

Will be great if you share with us what do you use the PC for, gaming, working, study ? What kind of issues do you have with your current CPU?

Cheers
Hi! I use my pc for gaming and I don't usually study on it. I use it for watching movies on it too but mostly it's gaming and I'm upgrading from a pentium g630.
As for my cpu issues well it's very old!
I'm mainly upgrading to fix that gpu and cpu bottleneck from my 1050 ti and to get better framerate.

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Your motherboard can overclock the 3770k, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you can find one at a good price. A good price as of right now is $70-75 shipped.
II will look into the K edition there are some that price at 117 euros but there definitely are sellers that sell it for cheaper

II will look into the K edition there are some that price at 117 euros but there definitely are sellers that sell it for cheaper
Your motherboard most definitely cannot overclock any K series CPU, you need a Z series motherboard to overclock K series CPUs. You can however run any K series CPU assuming the motherboard has the bios version capable of running it. The i7-3770K will run at full boost speed and up to DDR3 1600Mhz ram.

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Your motherboard most definitely cannot overclock any K series CPU, you need a Z series motherboard to overclock K series CPUs. You can however run any K series CPU assuming the motherboard has the bios version capable of running it. The i7-3770K will run at full boost speed and up to DDR3 1600Mhz ram.
sucks that it has no AMD cpu support but i will make sure to update my BIOS when i get the cpu

Why do you say that? The specs indicate there is an 'ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU)'--what else would that be for?
The only way you could possibly overclock with an H61 motherboard is through base clock being set to around 103-104Mhz or if available, by setting turbo boost to the maximum turbo per core that the CPU allows. Otherwise the only way to overclock a K series CPU, is through the multiplier on Z series and I think P67 motherboards.

This motherboard lacks all the options to properly overclock a K chip. No voltage control, no bckl control, no vrm phase control etc. I have used the same motherboard a few years ago with the i7 3770 non K, and the VRM throttled the processor even at stock during summer. So, it will work with both processors but don't expect to get any serious overclock there. You may be able to rise the multiplier up to maximum turbo (~39) and that's it.

Reactions: SamirD

ZLATENDAB

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
This motherboard lacks all the options to properly overclock a K chip. No voltage control, no bckl control, no vrm phase control etc. I have used the same motherboard a few years ago with the i7 3770 non K, and the VRM throttled the processor even at stock during summer. So, it will work with both processors but don't expect to get any serious overclock there. You may be able to rise the multiplier up to maximum turbo (~39) and that's it.
not looking for a big OC I just want to squeeze out as much performance as i can before i can buy my own pc parts to build my own pc

Reactions: SamirD