Question Buying used rtx 3090 now or wait?

KalleSh

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello guys!

I live in Sweden and I have rtx 2070s but I want to move to the 4k gaming. I found an Asus rtx 3090 tuf gaming oc for about 940$> its new price is about 1650$..

But I am a little confused about buying it or waiting for the new AMD cards, or perhaps the rtx 4070ti, but I expect that the pricing will be 40-50% higher compared to the price of this card,

So what do u think :should I buy it or wait?

Hey there,

I would not buy a second hand GPU after the last few years of mining. If you were sure it wasn't used for mining, then okay.. But you can't be sure, and they could tell you whatever they want.

Others may think differently, and each to their own.

Waiting for the next gen, the 4060ti/4070 may give you what you need at less cost. But, pricing as it is being laid out from Nvidia mean prices for even mid level cards are going up a price point.

Reactions: KalleSh

KalleSh

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
Hey there,

I would not buy a second hand GPU after the last few years of mining. If you were sure it wasn't used for mining, then okay.. But you can't be sure, and they could tell you whatever they want.

Others may think differently, and each to their own.

Waiting for the next gen, the 4060ti/4070 may give you what you need at less cost. But, pricing as it is being laid out from Nvidia mean prices for even mid level cards are going up a price point.
He says "nope" but as u mentioned maybe he is not telling the truth :rolleyes:
As to pricing I am afraid to wait and then these mid range cards come with higher price than the 3080 cuz because NVIDIA does not currently care about the exorbitant prices of its cards because the sales of the old generation are still high and they account for more than 80% of the market now

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
In other news, NGreedia is asking almost $1000 for its soon to be released 4070 TI....

Honestly, you never know. My instinct right now is to go with a discounted new NGreedia 3xxx series or similar from AMD before they're sold out.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
By the way,

3090 is huge, 4090 is even bigger, I just want to ask you if you checked the size and if your case is big enough?

I have a huge case and recently I have bought 3070, and if it was 3080 there was a strong chance that I would need some sort of cable extender

KalleSh

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
By the way,

3090 is huge, 4090 is even bigger, I just want to ask you if you checked the size and if your case is big enough?

I have a huge case and recently I have bought 3070, and if it was 3080 there was a strong chance that I would need some sort of cable extender
I have NZXT H7 Flow so the size isn't gonna be a problem

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Be careful. There are a lot of GPU's that have been used for mining for the last two years, that may also have been BIOS flashed to maximize memory performance. You could buy it, and a few months later, you start getting memory errors. I wouldn't pay more for it than you could reasonably expect to get if you were to resell it as a parts only card, so at least you can get your money back later.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead